DeMatha unseats Mt. St. Joe with 2-1 championship victory 2-time defending champ falls in title game rematch

March 04, 1996|By Chuck Acquisto | Chuck Acquisto,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Mount St. Joseph and DeMatha met again in the Maryland Scholastic Hockey League championship game, only this year it was the Stags from Prince George's County who hoisted the Capitals Cup on the ice. They defeated two-time defending champion Gaels, 2-1, before a standing-room-only crowd at Piney Orchard Ice Rink.

In a physical game with 25 penalties totaling 82 minutes, DeMatha (13-0) scored two power-play goals to St. Joe's one.

Stags forward and leading scorer T.J. Windsor (66 goals, 40 games) scored the game-winner, with assists from Steve Malley and Brian Thompson, with 13:03 left in the second period.

DeMatha, which won its record fourth MSHL title in seven years, jumped out to a 1-0 first-period lead when Stags forward Daniel Collins flicked Chris Quail's deflected shot just past Mount St. Joe goalie Zac White (29 saves).

Mount St. Joe (11-1-1) answered right back. Forward Doug Mewshaw blasted a shot past DeMatha goalie Jason Wolfe (MVP, 24 saves) with an assist by Ray Byrne.

In the third period, Mount St. Joe had one last chance to tie. The Gaels had a man advantage for the last two minutes. But leading scorer Neil Buchleitner could not shake the Stags' smothering defenders. A final faceoff in the Mount St. Joe end was won by DeMatha's Mike Weiss, who sent the Stags into celebration by clearing the puck the length of the ice.

"They are just a great team, and the physical game was to their advantage," said Mount St. Joe coach Ervin Terwilliger, who was forced to watch assistant coach Gary Cremen guide the Gaels from the stands while serving a one-game mandatory suspension for the Gaels' excessive penalties in the semifinal game.

Mount St. Joe (48-3-2 in the past five years) advanced to the title game with a 9-4 victory over St. Mary's (10-1-1) on Saturday, ending the Saints' Cinderella season after a 4-6 record a year ago. Byrne led the Gaels with five goals and two assists.

DeMatha knocked off Howard (10-1-1), 10-0, in the other MSHL semifinal, as Windsor had two goals and an assist.

"This was a transition year for us, so to even get this far was unbelievable," said Terwilliger, whose Gaels graduated seven seniors from last year's championship team.

Windsor and Buchleitner had only a few minutes to feel the impact of the title game. The two rivals quickly changed from school uniforms into their Tri-City Eagles outfits for a Capital Beltway Hockey League playoff game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.