Woman found slain in shopping plaza lot Police seek suspect, motive in shooting

March 03, 1996|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,SUN STAFF

Baltimore County police were looking last night for a suspect and motive in the slaying of a 23-year-old Cedarcroft woman who was found shot in her car in the parking lot of York Road Plaza early yesterday.

Joann E. LeCornu of the 600 block of Gittings Ave. was found in her white Honda Civic after employees at the Giant food store called police at 3:41 a.m. to report the sound of gunshots, police said.

Detectives said Ms. LeCornu was shot in the parking lot of the Caldor store across the street from the grocery store and somehow drove into the parking lot of York Road Plaza. Her Honda stopped in the lot between the Boston Chicken restaurant and the Firestone Tire and Service Center, police spokesman Cpl. John Hyman said.

Homicide investigators would not say what Ms. LeCornu was doing in the parking lot or where she had been Friday evening. They were looking for a white BMW driven by a stocky man wearing a camouflage jacket whom witnesses saw heading south on York Road shortly after the killing.

Ms. LeCornu's father, John LeCornu, is an assistant state's attorney in Anne Arundel County. He said the family was "too upset" to talk and still was trying to contact Ms. LeCornu's three sisters, one of whom is her twin.

Ms. LeCornu's boyfriend, Steve Dubin, 35, said he has lived with Ms. LeCornu for five years and last talked to her Friday morning before they left for work. She worked at Eastern Savings Bank in Hunt Valley and was a senior at Towson State University studying geriatrics. Mr. Dubin is a fund-raiser at Boys Latin School in Baltimore.

"That's what I regret most now, not talking to her," Mr. Dubin said yesterday as he sat in his home with his mother, Bobbi.

Mr. Dubin said he had been at a dance at Boys Latin Friday night and did not get home until about 12:30 a.m. yesterday. He said Ms. LeCornu probably left her job about 5:30 p.m. Friday. When she was not home by the time he got home, he thought she had gone to spend the weekend at her parents' house in Annapolis. He was awakened at 8 a.m. yesterday by detectives knocking on his door.

"I knew as soon as I saw them at that hour that something was wrong," he said. "They told me she was dead, but at first I didn't know how, whether it was an accident or a rape or what."

Mrs. Dubin said Ms. LeCornu -- known as Jody -- always was afraid something like this would happen to her. Mrs. Dubin and her son said it was unusual for Ms. LeCornu to be out that late and she always called from her car phone to let her boyfriend know she was on her way home so he could meet her at the front door.

4 "This was her worst nightmare," Mrs. Dubin said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.