Atholton presents scare but Poets prevail, 69-57 No. 18 Raiders fall short late in 4th period

February 27, 1996|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

When Atholton drew Dunbar in the state 3A East region quarterfinal round, few, if any, gave it a chance. Some were even apologetic.

But like Raiders coach Jim Albert said afterward, they "wanted to lTC show that they were alive." And they were very much within striking distance of the No. 2 Poets deep into the fourth quarter yesterday at Dunbar, before the No. 18 Raiders faltered, 69-57.

Tommy Polley scored a game-high 22 points for the Poets (17-6) and Chris Dean added 11 and five rebounds. Tyrone Allmond led Atholton (16-5) with 21 points and Matt Hahn had 10.

Dunbar will travel to either Edmondson or No. 10 Broadneck on Thursday in the semifinals. The Bruins play at Edmondson this afternoon in a rematch of the championship game of the Wes Unseld Christmas Tournament, won by the Redskins in overtime.

The 12-point margin was the closest an opponent has gotten to Dunbar in the state playoffs since Cambridge-South Dorchester in the 1993 state 1A championship game, the first of three straight state titles won by the Poets.

Dunbar has yet to lose in 13 state playoff contests, with the games decided early and decisively. That wasn't the case yesterday.

Atholton, which won its third straight Howard County championship last week, trailed only 44-38 entering the final quarter.

Atholton pulled within 52-49 with 5:05 remaining after Jahmaar Stafford hit a tough basket with Polley on him and was fouled. Stafford missed the free throw, but Atholton got the rebound and couldn't convert.

Polley hit four free throws to extend the lead to 56-49 with 3:54 while the Raiders turned over the ball on three consecutive possessions. A jumper by Keith Jefferson brought Atholton within 56-51 with 2:59 left.

The Raiders, which took No. 11 Gibbons into overtime earlier in the season and No. 6 Calvert Hall into the final minute before losing both, couldn't get any closer as Dunbar put together three free throws and a dunk by Polley to put the game away at 61-51 with a minute remaining.

"The kids played super," said Albert. "Dunbar is an outstanding team with great tradition. I wanted the kids to not be intimidated by that and play hard, and they did. They played about as well as we could, we made some mistakes at the end that hurt us, but I'm proud of the kids."

The Raiders were aggressive from the opening tip, taking their only lead of the game at 27-26 on a layup by Marc Horner with 7:43 left in the third quarter. Dunbar went back out in front, 39-31, after a 10-2 run.

Atholton came right back, using a Matt Hahn three-pointer and a steal and layup by Allmond as part of a 7-1 spurt to pull to within 40-38 with 1:49 remaining in the third.

Polley slowed down the Raiders' surge with a baseline jumper, then with four seconds left, Vander Bannister grabbed a miss by Andew Bowie and put it back in for a 44-38 lead, one of 11 offensive rebounds by Dunbar.

"We're not the type of team that's going to blow a team out," said Polley, who had seven rebounds. "We are just going to take our time, a team is going to score and we're going to score, but we're going to do the little things down the stretch to make us victorious."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.