Gasoline leak sparks blast, injuring man

February 20, 1996|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,SUN STAFF

Gasoline leaking from a Ford Bronco ignited and caused an explosion Saturday morning that slightly injured a man in North Laurel, a deputy fire marshal said.

Joseph Herberson of the 9000 block of Old Scaggsville Road received first-degree burns on his face shortly after 11:30 a.m. Saturday, said State Deputy Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor.

Mr. Herberson was working on a 1988 Ford Bronco II in his garage when gasoline began to leak from the Bronco's fuel line, Mr. Taylor said. A battery charger ignited the vapors from the pool of gasoline, he said.

An explosion blew out the garage's wooden doors and separated the garage frame from the house.

"The force of the explosion put out most of the fire," Mr. Taylor said. "The fire department found the garage doors out on the front yard [when they arrived]. It just blew them right out."

The blast caused damage estimated at $1,000, Mr. Taylor said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.