Ottilie T. S. Horner, 92, hospital surgical head...

February 17, 1996

Ottilie T. S. Horner, 92, hospital surgical head nurse

Ottilie T. S. Horner, a retired Johns Hopkins Hospital surgical head nurse, died Feb. 3 of heart disease at Carroll County General Hospital. She was 92.

Mrs. Horner worked 20 years at Hopkins, retiring in 1968. Earlier, she had worked at Union Memorial Hospital.

She was born Ottilie Schmid in Baltimore and graduated from city schools. She was a 1928 graduate of what was then known as West Baltimore General Hospital School of Nursing.

Mrs. Horner volunteered with the American Heart Association and did needlework. She lived for many years in Westminster House Apartments in Baltimore before recently moving to Sykesville.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at First and Franklin Presbyterian Church, Baccus House, 220 W. Madison St.

She is survived by her son, Graham A. Horner of Sykesville; a sister, Riekchen Ladew of Baltimore; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dr. Howard Kinnamon Jr., 85, orthopedic surgeon

Dr. Howard J. Kinnamon Jr., retired orthopedic surgeon and chief of staff of Memorial Hospital in Easton who was for many years the Eastern Shore's only orthopedic surgeon, died Jan. 5 of Alzheimer's disease at Church Home Hospital. He was 85.

After retiring in 1978 from private practice, Dr. Kinnamon was chief of medicine at Eastern Shore State Hospital in Cambridge until retiring again in 1982.

A lifelong Easton resident, Dr. Kinnamon's connections with Memorial Hospital dated to his birth and 35 years later when he returned as a surgeon and established and was chief of the orthopedic clinic and prosthetic clinic.

He was described in Dickson J. Preston's history of Memorial Hospital, "75 Years of Caring. A History of The Memorial Hospital," as being "a distinguished surgeon, chief of staff and teller of tall tales."

He was a 1927 graduate of Easton High School, attended New York University and later earned his medical degree in 1939 from the University of Maryland. He completed his internship and residency at what then was Mercy Hospital in 1942. During World War II he served with the Army in the European theater as an orthopedic surgeon. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of captain.

He was a member of numerous medical societies, including the Talbot County Medical Society, president of the state chapter of the American College of Surgeons and the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.

He was a member of the Maryland Club, the Talbot Country Club, the Terrapin Club at the University of Maryland, the Talbot Kennel Club and the Irish Setter Club of America.

He and Geraldine L. Jackson married in 1941. She died in 1983.

A memorial service is planned for 11 a.m. today at Christ Episcopal Memorial Church in Easton. Another service is planned for 11 a.m. Feb. 24 in the Mercy Medical Center Chapel, 301 St. Paul Place.

He is survived by his daughter, Jane A. Kinnamon of Chase.

Frederick W. Lane, 88, library branch manager

Frederick W. Lane, who spent 17 years with the Enoch Pratt Free Library before retiring in 1972 as the Light Street branch manager, died of undetermined causes Feb. 1 at Keswick, his home for the last year. He was 88.

The former Charles Village resident also had volunteered at the Baltimore Opera Company and at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The native of Nashota, Kan., earned his bachelor's degree from Baker University. In 1957, he earned a master's degree in library science from Catholic University of America.

During World War II, he served in the Army and was discharged in 1946. In 1963, he and Catherine Richardson, also a Pratt librarian, were married. She died in 1981.

A memorial service was held Thursday at Emmanuel Episcopal Church.

He is survived by a sister-in-law, Nellie Woodyard Lane of Miami; two nephews, Richard Lane of Miami and Todd Lane of Salinas, Calif; and longtime friend, Robert Greenfield of Baltimore.

Lulu 'Obie' Oberender, 89, worked for Union Trust Co.

Lulu "Obie" Oberender, one of the old Union Trust Co. bank's longest tenured employees, died Feb. 12 at Edenwald in Towson of complications related to Parkinson's disease. She was 89.

Ms. Oberender worked 48 years for Union Trust, first in its central office and later in branches in Hamilton and Overlea before ending her career in the trust department on North Charles Street. She worked at the bank, now part of Signet Bank, from 1923 to 1971.

She was raised in the city's Gardenville section and attended St. Gertrude's Commercial School for two years before getting a job with the bank.

She made crafts as an avocation, often contributing items to St. Joseph's and Good Samaritan hospitals. She also volunteered for the Maryland Cancer Society, loved the Orioles, and liked Ocean City vacations and fishing.

She was buried in Parkwood Cemetery after a funeral Mass on Thursday.

She is survived by a sister, Gertrude O. Heid of Edenwald; a niece, Elizabeth Heid Simon of Ellicott City; a nephew, H. Robert Heid of Timonium; a great-niece, three great-nephews and a great-great-niece.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.