A 3-year-old Glen Burnie boy choked to death on a hot dog yesterday while attending a Chesapeake High School basketball game with his grandmother, Anne Arundel County Fire Department officials said.
Taylor Jones was not breathing when he arrived at North Arundel Hospital at 6:34 p.m., about an hour after he began choking in the Pasadena high school's gymnasium, fire officials said. After treating the child for cardiac arrest, doctors pronounced Taylor dead at 7:34 p.m.
Taylor Jones attended the afternoon basketball game, which matched Chesapeake High School against Old Mill High School, with his grandmother.
The woman was reportedly working at the concession stand when she handed her grandson a hot dog to snack on. Soon after, according to fire officials, Taylor began gasping as the food stuck in his throat.
Two nearby police officers called for help at 5:54 p.m. and began working to free the lodged hot dog. But officers reportedly had difficulty opening the child's mouth.
Battalion Chief J. Gary Sheckells, the county Fire Department spokesman, said two ambulances were dispatched to Chesapeake High School within minutes after the call was received -- one from the Lake Shore station and another from the Earleigh Heights station.
Chief Sheckells said the ambulances arrived within 10 minutes of the call for help and that ambulance crew members found the boy not breathing and unresponsive to CPR.
With a crowd of police, students and parents looking on, paramedics managed to dislodge portions of the hot dog. But much of it remained, blocking the boy's air passage, Chief Sheckells said.
"People were apparently doing everything they could for the boy," said James V. Foran, the Anne Arundel county schools director of instruction, who heard about the accident from school employees attending the game.