Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax answers

February 08, 1996

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I'm self-employed. Can I take a medical insurance deduction even if I don't itemize?

A: The 25 percent health insurance deduction for self-employed persons, which expired in December 1993, has been retroactively restored to that date on a permanent basis. For 1995, the insurance deduction increases to 30 percent.

Q: Can improvements I make to my home for medical reasons be deducted as a medical expense?

A: Yes. The cost of improvements to your home for valid medical reasons, preferably supported by a medical opinion, minus any resulting increase in the value of your home, is deductible as a medical expense. Remember, medical expenses are deductible only to the extent their total exceeds 7.5 percent of adusted gross income.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

A joint service from The Sun and the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants can help you with your tax queries. Association members, all CPAs, will answer questions from readers until April 15. To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at (410) 783-1800. Using a touch-tone phone, enter 6225 after you hear the greeting.

Callers are asked to leave their names and phone numbers should questions need to be clarified.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.