Carbon monoxide sends woman, 2 children to hospital Power tools were used in unventilated area

February 06, 1996|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

Three residents of an apartment above a Westminster restaurant were hospitalized yesterday after power tools used in an unventilated area apparently sent carbon monoxide levels soaring.

Denise Roberts, her infant son, Stephen, and her 3-year-old son, Michael, remained in stable condition yesterday at Carroll County General Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The incident began about 10:30 a.m. when Mrs. Roberts called 911 after smelling smoke, police said.

Officials from the county Health Department and the Maryland Occupation, Safety and Health Administration are investigating and will determine when renovations may resume, said Lt. Dean Brewer of the Westminster Police Department.

Fire and police officials said the carbon monoxide level in the stairwell leading to upper floors above Johanssons, at 8 W. Main St., was 70 parts per million. The acceptable level is 20 parts per million.

Several contractors were using jackhammers, concrete saws and other gasoline-powered tools without assuring proper ventilation, Lieutenant Brewer said.

The owners of Johanssons, a street-level restaurant, are renovating Champs, the former restaurant and bar in the basement of the same building. The names of the contractors were not released, pending further investigation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.