Wilde Lake surprises No. 7 Hammond, 39-38 Roy-Harrison hits winner with three seconds left

January 27, 1996|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Wilde Lake, down by eight points entering the fourth quarter, stunned No. 7 Hammond, 39-38, last night as Jessie Roy-Harrison hit a short baseline jumper with three seconds left.

It was the third straight win over a ranked Howard County team for the visiting Wildecats (8-4, 5-1). Wilde Lake beat No. 6 Centennial Monday by seven and defeated No. 20 Atholton Wednesday by five.

Kellye Townsend, who scored all of Hammond's six points in the final quarter, gave the Golden Bears (9-4, 3-2) a 38-37 advantage with 13 seconds left when she scored on a layup off an assist from Rene Hines.

Wilde Lake, which got a 15-point effort (nine in the fourth quarter) from senior Adrean Mabry, called timeout with eight seconds remaining. Bridget White took the inbounds pass and found Roy-Harrison on the baseline.

"That's her area right there," said Wilde Lake coach Kelly Storr, who won her first game against Hammond in her fifth season. "Anytime she gets that shot, it's money in the bank."

Roy-Harrison agreed.

"That's my shot," said the 6-foot sophomore who finished with six points. "I really didn't think about the clock. It was just like any other shot. I guess it was just my time."

Hammond, the two-time defending county champion, increased its two-point halftime lead to eight, 32-24, entering the final period. Hines scored seven of her 17 points in the quarter.

But the Wildecats, led by Mabry, scored the first eight points of the final quarter to tie the game at 32 with 3:59 left. Both teams traded turnovers before Townsend, who finished with 17 points, scored for a 34-32 lead with 2:41 remaining.

Mabry gave the Wildecats a 35-34 lead with 2:30 on a three-point play, then Townsend gave Hammond the lead back with 2:14. Mabry scored off an offensive rebound with 1:20 on the clock to give Wilde Lake a 37-36 lead.

"If Adrean hadn't made all those shots before, my shot wouldn't have mattered," said Roy-Harrison. "This was a real team effort."

Said Storr: "Once she [Mabry] gets focused there's nothing you can do to stop her. She went in there and played hard."

Hammond made only three of 13 field goal attempts in the final quarter and turned the ball over five times.

"They outhustled us in the fourth quarter. That was the difference," said Hammond coach Joe Russo.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.