Paul T. Barbera Sr., 71, 24-year waterfront checkerPaul T...

January 20, 1996

Paul T. Barbera Sr., 71, 24-year waterfront checker

Paul T. Barbera Sr., who worked on the waterfront as a checker for 24 years, died Tuesday of complications from liver disease at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 71.

The longtime Gardenville resident, who designed how ships were loaded and unloaded, worked at Dundalk Marine Terminal, Locust Point Marine Terminal and other piers along the city's waterfront. He was a member of International Longshoremen's Association Local No. 953.

During the 1950s and 1960s, he was a Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. agent in Hamilton.

Born and raised in Little Italy, the son of Italian immigrants who came to Baltimore after World War I from Messina, he shared ownership with his father of a horse-drawn produce wagon that traveled the streets and alleys of East Baltimore.

He was a graduate of Patterson Park High School and, when he was 17, enlisted in the Navy during World War II. A radio operator third-class, Mr. Barbera saw action in the North Atlantic aboard a destroyer escort.

He enjoyed sports, being with his family and spending time at a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., retirement home. He was a member of the Sons of Italy and the Italian-American Civic Club.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Leo Roman Catholic Church, Stiles and Exeter streets in Little Italy.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Mary Nucci; a son, Dr. Paul T. Barbera Jr. of Hamilton; a brother, Thomas Barbera of Perry Hall; a sister, Mary Butler of Richmond, Va.; and two grandchildren. William Joseph Riley, director of safety and security at Mercy Medical Center, where he had worked since 1979, died Monday of lung cancer at his home in Pylesville. He was 55.

The Parkville native and Kenwood High School graduate was a state trooper from 1962 to 1965, then worked for the next 14 years in security for several firms, including Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, General Electric Co. and the Pantry Pride supermarket chain.

Services will be held at noon today at Holy Cross Episcopal Church, 4603 Rocks Road in Street.

He is survived by his wife, Virginia C. "Ginger" Riley; five sons, Todd Riley, Teddy Riley, Matt McKay and Mark McKay, all of White Hall, and Army Capt. John Riley of Fort Bragg, N.C.; three daughters, Karen Brooks of Parkville, Bobbie Dawn Fisher of Severn and Jennifer Riley of Madonna; and a sister, Blanche J. Corkran of Westminster.

Frank Rogers Jr., 85, ran Towson accounting firm

Frank Rogers Jr., who operated an accounting and insurance business in Towson for more than 35 years, died Jan. 13 of complications from heart disease at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. He was 85 and lived in Arnold.

He graduated from the Polytechnic Institute in 1928 and attended Cornell University for three years. He worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant for several years before he and his first wife, Naomi Ortel Rogers, opened the accounting and insurance company. She died in 1988.

Mr. Rogers, who built the Rogers Office Building at Washington Avenue and Joppa Road in Towson in 1952, was a member of the Boumi Temple Shrine, Boumi Yacht Club, Baltimore Yacht Club and Towson Lions Club and other service and professional organizations.

He was a descendant of Joseph Rogers, who traveled from England with William Penn during the late 1600s to what later became Pennsylvania.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at Barranco Funeral Home, 495 Ritchie Highway in Severna Park.

He is survived by his second wife, Gloria Rose Rogers; a daughter, Jocelyn Rogers McClelland of Severna Park; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.