Ashes spark $150,000 fire at residence

January 19, 1996|By Ed Heard | Ed Heard,SUN STAFF

Ashes cleaned from a fireplace ignited in an Ellicott City home while residents were away Wednesday night, causing $50,000 in damage, Howard County fire officials said.

The fire began after the ashes were left unattended in the house in the 2400 block of Sunset Farm Road. When one of the residents returned home and opened the front door, she encountered heavy smoke.

Firefighters arrived at 9:19 p.m. and were able to confine the fire to the back of the house. The fire was extinguished 11:16 p.m., fire officials said.

The five occupants of the house were staying with their pastor until they could relocate, officials said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.