Graham Veale, architect of libraries, schools, at 91Graham...

January 19, 1996

Graham Veale, architect of libraries, schools, at 91

Graham Veale, an architect who designed such notable buildings as the president's house and Shaffer Hall on the Johns Hopkins University's Homewood campus, died Monday of an aneurysm at Sinai Hospital. He was 91 and lived in Owings Mills.

He was a partner in the firm Smith & Veale, which he and architect Thomas Smith established at the end of World War II. They designed drive-in banks; libraries; schools, including Walbrook and Southwestern high schools; and the chapel and library at the Garrison Forest School.

In 1976, the firm, which had become Smith, Veale and Patton, merged with Meyers & D'Aleo Inc. Mr. Veale retired in the late 1970s.

Born in Philadelphia, he moved to Baltimore as a youngester and after graduating from Catonsville High School at 16, entered Harvard College. He left there after two years and apprenticed at an architectural firm. He earned his degree in architecture in 1927 from the University of Pennsylvania.

During World War II, he enlisted in the Army Air Forces and served in Europe as a photo reconnaissance expert. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

He was on the board of the Children's Aid Society and was a member of the Maryland Club and the Green Spring Valley Hunt Club.

Services will be held at 3 p.m. today at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 232 St. Thomas Lane in Owings Mills.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Elizabeth Spencer Janney; a son, William W. Veale of Oakland, Calif.; a daughter, Frances Horich of Owings Mills; and five grandchildren.

Theodore A. Zarnoch, 81, Bethlehem Steel mechanic

Theodore A. Zarnoch, a retired mechanic for Bethlehem Steel Corp., died Monday of complications from leg surgery at Franklin Square Hospital. He was 81 and lived in Fullerton.

A native of Duryea, Pa., he left high school at the age of 14 to help support his family during the Depression. In 1942, he came to Baltimore and worked at the Glenn L. Martin Co., an airplane manufacturer in Middle River.

After the war, he went to work at the tin mills at Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point plant, retiring in 1982.

In 1938, he married Dora H. Stemplewski, who survives him.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Ursula's Roman Catholic Church, 8801 Harford Road, Parkville.

Survivors include two sons, Robert A. Zarnoch of Ellicott City hTC and Theodore P. Zarnoch of Columbus, Ohio; a brother, Felix Zarnoch of Whiting, N.J.; a sister, Mary Cimakasky of Mountaintop, Pa.; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Sister Mary Joan, 83, taught business courses

Sister Mary Joan Schlegel, S.S.N.D., who taught business courses and was treasurer at the Institute of Notre Dame, died of Alzheimer's disease Sunday at the Maria Health Center at Villa Assumpta. She was 83.

Sister Joan retired in 1992 after 29 years at the school. Earlier, she had taught at parochial schools in East Baltimore, Massachusetts and Philadelphia.

The former Rose Schlegel of Washington joined the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1930 and professed her vows in 1933.

She earned a bachelor's degree from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland in 1950 and a master's degree in business education and guidance from Catholic University in 1960.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today in the chapel at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of her order, at 6401 N. Charles St.

She is survived by a brother, John Schlegel of Mesa, Ariz.; four sisters, Frances Murray and Lillian Hissey, both of Bethesda, Teresa Smith of Stafford, Va., and Helen Vernelle Tylka of Stuart, Fla.; and many nieces and nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.