Virginia D. Boyce, 88, civic leader, volunteerVirginia D...

January 18, 1996

Virginia D. Boyce, 88, civic leader, volunteer

Virginia D. Boyce, a volunteer for more than 40 years at the Woman's Industrial Exchange, died of complications from asthma Saturday at her Ruxton home. She was 88.

Like her mother and sister, she served on the board and was president of the venerable Charles Street institution and lunchroom that was founded after the Civil War to sell women's handwork.

She also served for many years on the board of the Aged Women's and Aged Men's Home in Franklin Square. She was president when the home moved to Towson and was renamed Pickersgill in the late 1950s. During World War II, she volunteered with the Red Cross.

Mrs. Boyce credited her father -- E. Asbury Davis, president of F. A. Davis & Sons Inc., tobacconists, and later chairman of the board of what is now USF&G Corp. -- for instilling in her at an early age concern for the less fortunate.

And when she went to work, her "father insisted that she take no vTC pay for her job and insisted that she turn her salary back to the city, that it could be used to help those in need," said a daughter, Conradt B. Whitescarver of Ruxton.

Born Virginia Davis on Park Avenue and raised there and in Roland Park, she was a 1924 graduate of Friends School and, in 1928, earned a bachelor's degree from Goucher College. She was a social worker in the old city Public Welfare Department until she and Edward Gillet "Mush" Boyce were married in 1937. Mr. Boyce, who founded Boyce & Co., an insurance agency, died in 1958.

Mrs. Boyce, who was known as Ginny, was a member of L'Hirondelle Club and Baltimore Country Club. She played bridge and the piano.

She was a communicant of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, at Boyce and Carrollton avenues in Ruxton, where a memorial service will be held at 11:30 a.m. today.

Other survivors include a son, Gillet Grayson Boyce of Ruxton; another daughter, Ann Allston Boyce of Federal Hill; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter. Charles A. Heller, who had worked for many years at the Lutherville post office, died Monday of cancer at his home in Englewood, Fla. He was 79.

He retired in 1980 after 18 years with the U.S. Postal Service and its predecessor. Earlier, he worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant and for Bendix Corp. in Towson.

Born and raised in Baltimore, he was a 1935 graduate of Polytechnic Institute.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps and was discharged in 1946.

The former Carroll Manor resident was a member of American Legion Parkville Post 183.

A memorial service is scheduled for today in Englewood.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Eloise Bader; a daughter, Barbara Riddle of Annapolis; a sister, Edith Andrews of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; two grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Albert H. Bright Jr., 83, civil engineer

Albert H. Bright Jr., a retired civil engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers, died of cancer Sunday at Meridian Nursing Center-Homewood. He was 83.

The longtime Stoneleigh resident retired from the Corps of Engineers in 1968 after a 27-year career. From 1942 to 1945, he was assigned to work on the Manhattan Project, which developed the atomic bomb.

He had been a trustee, office manager and usher at Govans Presbyterian Church. For many years, he volunteered at People Encouraging People Inc., a nonprofit rehabilitation agency for the mentally handicapped.

Born and raised in Auburn, N.Y., he earned a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from Cornell University in 1935.

In 1937, he married Anna Crahan, who died in 1970.

Services are planned for 10 a.m. today at Govans Presbyterian Church, 5828 York Road.

He is survived by a son, Albert H. Bright III of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.