Two-alarm fire causes $75,000 in damage to house in Gamber

January 16, 1996

An elderly Gamber couple were forced out of their home Sunday night by a two-alarm fire that caused $75,000 in damage.

Marshall Stanley Long, 73, and his wife, Mary Anna, 65, were in their Poole Road home about 6:30 p.m. when their son discovered a fire in the living room. John Stephen Long, 45, helped his parents out and called firefighters, Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas said yesterday.

About 90 firefighters from Gamber, Sykesville, Reese, Winfield, Westminster, Reisterstown and Glyndon battled the fire at the ,, two-story frame home, but their efforts to get equipment there were slowed because snowbanks had narrowed Poole Road to one lane, Mr. Thomas said.

Once there, firefighters had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, Mr. Thomas said. A lack of water also hampered the efforts, forcing firefighters to carry water for more than a mile. It took about seven hours from first call until the scene was cleared, officials said.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Charles Adams said the fire was caused by an unvented kerosene space heater that malfunctioned. The Longs were being helped by the Red Cross, Mr. Thomas said.

Firefighter Brendon Guy Gable, 30, of Gamber was taken to Carroll County General Hospital for treatment of minor burns to his hands and face.

Police

Eldersburg: A resident of Bridoon Avenue told state police Sunday that someone broke the back window of his Ford pickup truck and stole a cellular phone.

Fire

Sykesville: Sykesville responded to a porch collapse on Second Avenue at 5:48 p.m Saturday. Units were out for 20 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.