Five treated after fire hits apartment building Midnight blaze sends 24 residents into cold

electrical socket blamed

January 12, 1996|By TaNoah V. Sterling | TaNoah V. Sterling,SUN STAFF

A two-alarm fire that started shortly before midnight Wednesday damaged a Glen Burnie apartment building and sent four residents and one firefighter to area hospitals for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation.

Twenty-four residents of the building in the 100 block of Governor's Court were forced into the bitter cold by the fire, which began in the rear bedroom of a basement apartment and spread quickly.

It took firefighters 45 minutes to put out the fire in the 11-unit building, Fire Battalion Chief J. Gary Sheckells said.

Arthur Murphy, 84, who lives in a second-floor apartment, was taken to Harbor Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, then transferred to the University of Maryland Hospital, where he was in stable condition last night, officials said.

Firefighter Mike Gary, who works in the Linthicum fire station, was treated at North Arundel Hospital for first- and second-degree burns on the right side of his face, officials said.

Also treated at North Arundel for smoke inhalation were apartment residents Fred Myers and his wife, Marie, and Katherine Angst.

Investigators said the fire started in a malfunctioning electrical socket in a rear bedroom in the Myers' apartment.

The 11 apartments had varying degrees of damage from the fire.

Chief Sheckells estimated damage to the property and contents at $145,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.