Speros waits to talk with city before decision

January 11, 1996|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,SUN STAFF

The Canadian Football League wanted to know where the Baltimore Stallions would play their 1996 season by today, but team owner Jim Speros will not make that decision until tomorrow at the earliest.

Before he decides whether to keep the Grey Cup champions in Baltimore for another year -- and possibly share Memorial Stadium with the NFL -- or to move to Houston, Richmond, Va., or the Lehigh Valley (Pa.) area, Speros wants to seek financial assistance from the city of Baltimore.

He had planned to do so in a meeting on Monday with city officials, including finance director Bill Brown and Larry Gibson, the political consultant for Mayor Kurt L.Schmoke, but the recent blizzard has postponed that meeting three times. Speros hoped to talk with the city today, before updating the CFL's Board of Governors in a conference call this afternoon.

"I will not make an announcement until I meet with Bill Brown and explain my decision to the mayor," Speros said. "It [the conference call] probably isn't going to be as informative as I'd like, because I haven't had a chance to meet with anybody from the city."

Speros also wants an update on the progress of the team's season ticket drive. The Special Teamers, the Stallions' volunteer boosters group, is shooting for 20,000 commitments of $100 toward 1996 season tickets, which Speros says he needs to survive in Baltimore. About 13,000 had been collected by Saturday.

In other team news, defensive line coach Marty Long will be named the defensive line coach at the University of Arizona today. Long, 32, spent the last two seasons with Baltimore, after coaching for seven years at the Citadel, his alma mater.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.