Speros expects Houston offer on Monday Stallions likely to accept if ticket drive falls short

January 06, 1996|By Kevin Eck

Stallions owner Jim Speros said yesterday that he expects a written proposal from Houston on Monday that would allow his team to move there next season if the season-ticket drive here fails.

Speros did not discuss the specifics of the proposal, but said that yesterday's meetings in Houston focused on a lease for the Stallions to play at the Astrodome.

"I feel good about the meetings," Speros said before departing from Houston last night after three days of meetings with Astrodome management and local officials. "We've talked about terms and conditions, and now they're putting it in writing.

"Houston has done everything right to bring a CFL football team to this town. I got everything done in the last two days that I wanted to achieve. I'm very pleased that the Astrodome officials have worked around the clock to get this done because I needed it by Jan. 8."

The Stallions' season-ticket drive here, which had a target of 20,000, had reached 12,000 on Tuesday. The campaign, originally scheduled to end yesterday, has been extended to Monday.

"Unless there's an overwhelming weekend in Baltimore where we sell roughly 7,000-plus tickets, then that would change my opinion right now," Speros said. "But it doesn't look like I'm going to meet my goal in Baltimore."

Speros, who will announce his decision at a news conference Tuesday, also expects written proposals from Richmond, Va., and Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley on Monday, but he reiterated that Houston has the edge.

"Right now, Houston seems to be at the top of the list," Speros said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.