Louis D. Crocetti, 63, builder, restaurateurLouis D...

January 05, 1996

Louis D. Crocetti, 63, builder, restaurateur

Louis D. Crocetti Sr., a retired builder and restaurateur who owned the popular Castello D'Abruzzo restaurant in Brooklyn, died of heart failure New Year's Eve at his Glen Burnie residence. He was 63.

He worked for several years for his father's firm, Louis Crocetti & Sons Inc. Construction Co., before establishing his own firm, P & D Masonary Inc. and worked on such projects as the George J. Fox Middle School, Annapolis and Kenwood senior high schools, the Anne Arundel County Detention Center, the state police barracks in Annapolis and the intensive care wing of St. Joseph Medical Center.

He retired from the masonry firm in 1974 and purchased a former Texaco filling station on Potee Street, where he built a restaurant in the shape of a castle, complete with a parapet, moat, drawbridge, fountain and knight in shining armor.

The restaurant was originally called Pizza Castle when it opened in 1977 and was billed "Little Italy in the Heart of Brooklyn."

Mr. Crocetti, who was known as Don, operated the restaurant with his wife, who was the chef, a daughter and a son. They served food native to the Abruzzi province of Southeast Italy.

The restaurant, sold in 1993, was known for its veal, chicken and pork dishes and such specialties as cannelloni d'Abruzzo and the un-Italian sour beef.

Born and raised in South Baltimore, Mr. Crocetti was a 1950 graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School.

He was active in the Knights of Columbus and the Rotary and was a communicant of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, 7436 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Ann Good; three sons, Donald Crocetti Jr. of Arnold, Christopher Crocetti of Riviera Beach and David Crocetti of Federal Hill; three daughters, Donna Wisniewski of Kent Island, Peg Hanna of Pasadena and Valerie Crocetti of Florida; a brother, Michael Duane Crocetti of Pasadena; and 11 grandchildren. Enotha Jones Bennett, a state worker for 36 years, died of cancer Dec. 28 at her home in Woodlawn. She was 66.

In 1948, she began working as a clerk for the Maryland Department of Employment Security. She retired in 1984 as manager of training for employment services.

The native of Pineland, S.C., moved to Baltimore when she was nine to live with her sisters and attend school. She graduated from Douglass High School in 1947 and a year later married Charles P. Bennett, who died in 1982.

In 1977, Mrs. Bennett became a part-time sales agent with Associated Real Estate, which later became affiliated with Century 21. After retiring from state government, she became a full-time agent and then sales manager of Century 21 Associated.

She was a member of the Real Estate Brokers of Baltimore, the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors, the Maryland Association of Realtors, the National Association of Realtors and the National Association of Real Estate Brokers.

Services were held Wednesday. Survivors include a daughter, Barbara Bennett Patterson of San Francisco; a son, Melvyn Bennett of Baltimore; and eight sisters, Stella Bing of Philadelphia, Iris Jones, Jerusha Hamlett and Emily Jones, all of Baltimore, Terethea Orr of Pineland, S.C., Viola Bing of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Loretta Laurel and Gloria Youmans, both of Philadelphia. George Robert Roos Jr., general manager of a Laurel printing company, died Dec. 28 of a heart attack. He was 45.

A native of Baltimore, he had lived in Ellicott City since he was eight years old. A 1968 graduate of Glenelg High School, he received a degree from Catonsville Community College two years later.

During his career, he held several printing and advertising jobs, including a stint as an advertising sales representative for Baltimore magazine in the 1980s.

Five years ago, he married Mary Grimsbo Eberhart, who survives him. A Mass of Christian burial was offered Tuesday.

Other survivors include a daughter, Jennifer, and two stepdaughters, Corey and Kelley Eberhart, all of Ellicott City; three brothers, Donald William Roos Sr. of Ellicott City, Gary Lee Roos of Mechanicsville, Va. and David E. Roos of Abingdon; a sister, Karen M. Castor and his parents, Mary and George Roos Sr., all of Ellicott City.

Earl Edgar Johnson, 73, worked for elevator firms

Earl Edgar Johnson, who worked for elevator companies in Baltimore for more than 20 years, died Saturday of cancer at his home in Bozman on the Eastern Shore. He was 73.

Born in Washington, he attended public schools there, graduating from Eastern High School in 1939.

He married the former Helen Jean White in 1943 and a year later began working in Washington as a clerk for Otis Elevator Co. After a three-year stint in Harrisburg, Pa., he was transferred to Baltimore in 1959.

After retiring from Otis in 1976 as a sales and service manager, he worked for Standard Elevator Co. for six years. From 1985 to 1992, he was a partner in an elevator consulting business.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.