William Drew Meise, 81, philanthropist, developer
William Drew Meise, a developer and philanthropist who was concerned with the welfare of needy children and abused animals, died Dec. 24 of heart failure at his home in Berkeley Springs, W.Va. He was 81.
Born in Raspeburg, now Overlea-Fullerton in Baltimore County, he was educated in Baltimore. At 19, he registered as a merchant marine with the Bureau of Navigation in Baltimore. He was inducted into military service in 1943, serving as a veterinary technician in the 113th Medical Veterinary Detachment. He received an Award for Meritorious Service, Good Conduct Medal and the Asiatic Pacific Theater Service Ribbon.
After World War II, Mr. Meise worked in insurance and real estate businesses, then became a real estate broker and developer of residential subdivisions in the Baltimore area. He also was an auctioneer. He was a member of the Webster B. Harrison American Legion Post 26 in Hancock.
His concerns for human welfare were characterized by his sponsorship and support of needy children and families.
As a volunteer for the Humane Society of Baltimore, he tried to alleviate the suffering of animals. He traveled throughout Baltimore and Washington, rescuing abused and unwanted animals and buying old or injured horses destined for the slaughterhouse. Many of the animals were nursed back to health and lived out their lives at his home in Berkeley Springs, W.Va.
In addition to financially supporting many charitable organizations, including the American Lung Association and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Mr. Meise donated land to Bethel Methodist Church in Berkeley Springs for the extension of a cemetery and deeded land to the Valley Dale Maintenance Association for a sewage treatment plant.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Helsley-Johnson Funeral Home, 306 Union St., Berkeley Springs.
He is survived by two cousins, William C. Mann and Catherine Mann of Baltimore.
Memorial donations may be made to the Humane Society of Morgan County, P.O. Box 302, Berkeley Springs, W.Va. 25411.