1 dead, 5 hurt in 2 shootings in Baltimore Two 10-year-old boys are hit by stray bullets

November 28, 1995|By John Rivera | John Rivera,SUN STAFF

Two 10-year-old boys were among the victims of stray bullets fired in two unrelated shooting incidents -- one involving at least 38 shots -- in Baltimore last night that left one 19-year-old dead and several others wounded, police said.

Both outbursts of gunfire erupted about 5:45 p.m. Police said one involved an attempted robbery at a bus stop on Hillen Road near Morgan State University in Northeast Baltimore.

A 19-year-old man was shot and killed and a 10-year-old boy was hit by a stray bullet.

The 19-year-old victim, who police were trying to identify late last night, was awaiting a bus in the 4600 block of Hillen Road about 5:45 p.m. when a robber approached him, homicide investigators said.

The gunman fired several times, striking the victim once in the chest. The man died at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

One bullet pierced the passenger door of a passing minivan, where 10-year-old Robert Lucas was sitting. Robert, of the 5900 block of Ayleshire Road in Northeast Baltimore, was hit in the hip. He was admitted to the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, where he was in fair condition last night.

About the same time in Northwest Baltimore, a gunfight between at least two men in the 4700 block of Garrison Blvd. left four people wounded, police said.

At least 38 shots were fired, said Agent Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman.

A 49-year-old man was walking with his 10-year-old son and both were hit, the father in the buttocks and his son twice in the leg and once in the abdomen.

The two, who were not immediately identified by police, were being treated last night at Sinai Hospital.

Richard Cotten, 18, of the 4700 block of Garrison Blvd. was shot in the right leg as he used a pay phone. He was treated and released at Sinai Hospital.

Ronald White, 31, of the 4700 block of Wakefield Road was driving south on Garrison Boulevard when one round went through his car's door and hit him in the right arm. He drove himself to Liberty Medical Center, where he was treated and released. Police had no suspects in the shooting.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.