For Terps, 150 minutes to tie, one kick to lose James Madison advances in NCAAs

November 27, 1995|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

HARRISONBURG, Va. -- Maryland goalkeeper Russell Payne anticipated a shot to the left corner. Diving to his right, he felt the deciding penalty kick touch his hand.

But Payne couldn't stop it as it rolled into the net. He could only head to the sidelines and cry in the arms of his teammates.

Winning the penalty kicks round, 4-3, James Madison defeated No. 15 Maryland in the second round of the NCAA tournament yesterday before 1,200 at Reservoir Street Field. James Madison (17-4-2) faces Duke in the quarterfinals.

Both teams battled to a 2-2 tie after 150 minutes of play, including 30 minutes of sudden-death overtime, and technically neither team records the game as a victory or loss.

"Technicalities don't matter this time of year," said Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski, whose Terps hadn't attempted a penalty kick this season. "[Penalty kicks are] an unfair way to win a game or to lose a game. It never does the game justice. But there are not any better ways to solve it."

Each team receives five shots in the opening round of penalty kicks, and the team that scores on more attempts advances. If, at the end of that initial round, the score is tied, each team has one shot until one team misses and the other makes a penalty shot.

Maryland (13-6-2) fell behind in the opening round of penalty kicks by missing on two of its first four shots. After Dukes defender Umesh Vermuri converted his penalty kick to increase the lead to 3-2, the Terps needed to make their next shot as well as stop James Madison's next.

Tod Herskovitz completed the first part, lifting a shot in the upper right corner of the net. On the final shot of the first round, Payne made a diving stop to end the round tied at 3-3.

To open the next session, Terps midfielder Doug Smith lined his penalty kick in the center of the goal, and it was slapped away by Dukes goalkeeper Barry Purcell.

"That's always how I shoot my penalty kicks," said Smith, a senior midfielder. "I shoot it down the middle, hoping the goalie guesses one way. It's hard to end the season this way."

The Dukes needed to make their next shot to win. After taking three long strides, Mark Miles angled the ball into the left corner.

"I guessed right," Payne said. "And I got my fingertips on it."

Maryland seemed to have the game under control midway through the second half. Trailing 1-0, the Terps collected themselves to put together 20 minutes of relentless attacking offense, peppering five shots.

Herskovitz tied the game at 1-1, heading in a hard-lining cross from Smith with 26:55 left in the second half. Then, 5 1/2 minutes later, Steve Armas settled another crossing pass from Smith in front of the goal and scored to put Maryland ahead 2-1.

The Dukes tied it on a controversial goal. Danny Ensley headed in a corner kick that hit off the crossbar and landed just over the line with 16 minutes left.

"That's going to sit uncomfortably with me for a while," Cirovski said.

After that goal, Maryland and James Madison did not score for the last 76 minutes of play.

"It's sort of a hollow feeling," James Madison coach Tom Martin said. "It was that intense and close. There's not a lot that separates these two teams."

"They took their chances very well, including penalty kicks," Cirovski said. "[The winning kick] was a well-placed shot. Don't worry, we'll be back in years to come."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.