Police kill suspect in gas station robbery Clerk set off alarm, struggled with gunman

November 26, 1995|By Anne Haddad | Anne Haddad,SUN STAFF

Anne Arundel County police shot and killed a suspected armed robber at a Glen Burnie Shell station early yesterday after the female clerk on the overnight shift, alone and unarmed, wrestled with the attacker.

Police identified the dead man as Ronald Delroy Chisley, 28, of no fixed address, although his mother lives in Severn.

Sgt. Jeff Kelly said county police were alerted to trouble at Ed's Shell Station on Mountain Road near Baltimore & Annapolis Boulevard when the clerk tripped the alarm shortly after 4 a.m.

Through the glass front window, officers could see the suspect standing over the 44-year-old clerk in a back office at the station's convenience store.

"They announced their presence and told the guy to freeze, and that's when he charged them," Sergeant Kelly said.

An officer fired one shot, which hit the suspect in the abdomin-chest area, Sergeant Kelly said. The injured man continued past the officers and went around to the back of the store before collapsing.

Mr. Chisley was taken to North Arundel Hospital by ambulance, then flown from there to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was pronounced dead about 12:20 p.m.

Sergeant Kelly declined to release the name of the officer who fired the shot or the name of the clerk. He said the officer is on administrative duties while an investigation is completed.

Police said the clerk told them that the suspect entered the gas station, showed a gun and demanded money. The clerk apparently tripped the alarm before the robber took her to the back office.

During the struggle, the suspect struck the clerk in the head several times, although she remained conscious and was not seriously injured, Sergeant Kelly said.

As of last night, the clerk had not returned messages left by The Sun through station owners Ed and Karen Khoury. Mrs. Khoury said the clerk is a strong woman with military experience. This was not the first time she had been robbed at that station, they said.

"She was tired of being the victim, that's why she did it," Mr. Khoury said about the woman's resistance.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.