Car fire destroys repair shop two workers injured

November 21, 1995|By Ed Heard | Ed Heard,SUN STAFF

A fire believed to have been caused by a ruptured car gasoline tank destroyed a North Laurel auto repair shop yesterday afternoon, injuring two workers and damaging an adjacent business, Howard County fire officials said.

Two employees who had been working on the car were driven by ambulance to Laurel Regional Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. One had been burned, said Lt. David Carroll, spokesman for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue.

Their identities were not available yesterday, and fire officials did not know their conditions.

The blaze was reported about 3:47 p.m., shortly after the flash fire spread throughout the Laurel Auto House in the 10000 block of Washington Blvd. in North Laurel, Lieutenant Carroll said.

Employees evacuated the business, its roof eventually collapsed and the fire spread next door to Meineke Discount Mufflers. Firefighters from four stations prevented the fire from spreading through the second business, fire officials said.

Firefighters still were hosing down the fire at 5:45 p.m. yesterday, the lieutenant said. The state fire marshal's office was investigating the fire and determining the extent of damages to both businesses yesterday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.