Patapsco shuts down Wilde Lake for title, 3-0 State crown is the first for Patriots since 1977

2A boys soccer

November 19, 1995|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Patapsco's soccer season was built upon defense and quick counterattacks.

The No. 7 Patriots stayed true to that formula in defeating No. 15 Wilde Lake, 3-0, for the Class 2A state title yesterday at Old Mill.

"It looks like Dundalk-area soccer may be back," said Patapsco coach Dave Ingle, referring to the Dundalk area's soccer dominance during the 1970s.

For the Patriots, who started eight seniors, it was their first state championship since 1977.

Injured striker Dino Pusinsky came up big for Patapsco (16-2-1) when he came off the bench late in the first half to set up the Patriots' first goal.

Pusinsky's cross in front of the goal off a quick counterattack was volleyed in off the crossbar by Chuck Little with 1:07 left in the half.

"It's like a miracle," Pusinsky said. "I don't know how it [state championship] happened."

Little said: "We joked about it [state title] all season."

Pusinsky, Patapsco's leading scorer with 10 goals and 14 assists, had missed the state semifinal against Bethesda because of an injured hamstring. He left yesterday's game after three minutes, but returned in the 36th minute.

"We were dominating but made a series of four mistakes, and they capitalized on it and scored," said Wilde Lake coach Dave Nesbitt. "Give credit to them. They did what they needed to."

Wilde Lake (8-6-3), which had scored 13 goals in four playoff victories, may have suffered from Samson's weakness. Nine of the 11 Wildecat starters shaved their heads for the game.

And though Wilde Lake dominated play, outshooting Patapsco 15-2 in the first half and 28-8 for the game, the Wildecats couldn't finish.

Patapsco goalkeeper Mike Griffith (10 saves) stopped Saah Solee on a breakaway in the 10th minute, a header by Jeremy Young off a direct kick missed an open net in the 20th minute and Patapsco fullback Wayne Brooks kicked away a potential goal at the near post in the 28th minute.

Griffith, who survived a kick in the face and a nasty collision with a post, praised Pusinsky.

"Dino has been our big-play player all season," Griffith said. "Wilde Lake had superior skills to us, no doubt. They are an excellent passing team. But our defense came up big."

It was Pusinsky who scored Patapsco's second goal in the 64th minute.

Wilde Lake fullback Matt Shapiro attempted to clear Pusinsky's hard on-goal volley; instead, Shapiro kicked it into the goal.

Wilde Lake halfback David Briefel said his team was young (five sophomore starters) and got a little frustrated when it continually created scoring opportunities that failed.

"If you don't put it away, you let the other team back into it, and in the second half, we panicked a bit and started getting away from our game," he said.

Pusinsky said he didn't feel safe until Adkins scored Patapsco's third goal in the 79th minute on a 15-yard volley off another quick counterattack.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.