Tie forces Severna Park, Centennial to share title 0-0 stalemate leaves Eagles frustrated

3A-4A girls soccer

November 18, 1995|By Bill Free | Bill Free,SUN STAFF

The words from Centennial midfielder Lauren Molinaro echoed sharply into the cold mid-November air last night at North County.

"I would have rather lost than tied," said Molinaro, who had just played 100 minutes of fast-paced soccer against top-ranked Severna Park and had to settle for a state Class 3A-4A co-championship.

"I mean it, I hate ties," said Molinaro after the second-ranked Eagles had dueled the Falcons to a 0-0 tie after 80 minutes of regulation play and two 10-minute sudden-death overtimes.

Under Maryland Public Secondary Athletic Association guidelines, state championship games tied after two overtimes end without a shootout.

While Molinaro and most of her Centennial (13-3-2) teammates treated the tie and co-championship as if it were a loss, Severna Park (16-1-2) took the tie and share of the state title as if it were a victory.

Severna Park entered the game No. 1 in the Baltimore metro area and had the superior record to the No. 2 Centennial team.

But the two coaches brought the game into clearer focus.

"They [Centennial] came in here thinking they were going to blow us away," said Severna Park coach Joyce Stefancik.

Centennial coach David Greenberg said, "We were the better team and had more chances to score [16-5 advantage in shots] but we didn't have enough quality chances."

And there was one more reason Centennial was the more confident team last night.

"They were the defending champions," said Shannon Chaney who ended her Severna Park goal-keeping career in grand style last night.

Chaney refused to allow Molinaro and her attacking teammates to beat her, making 11 saves in the 49th shutout of her career.

The most spectacular Chaney save came with 3:30 left in the first overtime on a rocket shot by Michelle Clare from 18 yards that Chaney saved and then had to reach back to pick the ball up before it crossed the goal line after it bounced out of her hands.

Some of the Centennial fans thought it was a goal and began to cheer as if the Eagles had won. But one of the officials said the ball was "two ball lengths" from going in.

Chaney said the ball was "on the line."

However, there wouldn't have been any talk of a shootout or a controversial play involving Chaney late in the first overtime if Severna Park's Courtney Lemon had scored from two yards out off a perfect pass to her on a corner by Lindsey Poland with less than 90 seconds gone in the first overtime.

Lemon took the shot amid a crowd and the ball glanced off a TC couple of Centennial defenders to teammate Jill Harrison who also couldn't convert.

When both teams failed to score in the first overtime and the game was still tied with four minutes left in the second OT, it was Molinaro who tried three times to win the state title outright.

She went one-on-one with some beautiful ball handling but got stopped twice by Carol Prickett and once she drove the ball over the goal.

"I got a little carried away but I thought I could win it," she said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.