Shootout-tested Hereford edges out Linganore 1A-2A girls soccer

November 12, 1995|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Hereford goalkeeper Kate MacFarlane thought her team had the edge when it came time for the shootout in yesterday's state class 1A-2A semifinal at Catonsville High School.

"We practice these every day, so I think we tend to have the advantage," she said. "As much as I'd like to take the credit, luck was a big part of it."

Lucky or not, top-seeded Hereford (11-4-1) outlasted a determined fourth-seeded Linganore (11-4-1) team from Frederick County to win the shootout, 9-7, and a wind-swept, rain-soaked game that featured several minor injuries and a 25-minute light failure.

The Bulls advance to Friday's 1A-2A state championship at North County and will play the winner of the other semifinal between Oakland Mills and North Harford, which will be played tomorrow.

That game, which was to follow Hereford's at Catonsville, was postponed due to the condition of the playing field.

"I've never had a game where the lights went out, and so many things made it so miserable," said MacFarlane. "I can't believe we've made it this far."

The win keeps Hereford on track for an opportunity to avenge a 1-0 state semifinal loss to Oakland Mills in last year's playoffs.

Both teams had several scoring opportunities, especially in the first half when the field was in better condition.

Linganore's Christy Polansky took a pass to the far left of the Hereford goal, and fired a shot that alluded MacFarlane, but missed the far post by about a foot with 19:36 left in the first half.

Hereford's best opportunity came 10 minutes later when sweeper Alicia Malkowski took a deflected pass about 15 feet in front of Lancer goalie Amy Moxley, but her strong shot was deflected before it reached the goal.

Neither team could mount much of an offense in the second half, and with 2:41 left in the first overtime, the lights suddenly went out.

Tournament officials held a meeting, and it was decided that if the lights could be restarted, the game would be completed. Fifteen minutes later, the game resumed.

After the two teams finished both overtimes tied, Hereford used MacFarlane's goaltending and some timely goals by Laura Washburn, Christy Murphy, and Melissa Mueller to take a 5-3 lead in the shootout.

Linganore used goals by Tina Ensor, Stephanie Keninitz, Kelly Seetoo and Melissa Holt to cut the deficit to 8-7, but Brooke Lang's goal sealed the victory for Hereford.

"We're used to pressure," said Herford coach Steve Power. "We're 4-0 in shootouts over the last two years, and we always have the advantage with Kate. It's a shame this game had to be decided in conditions like this, but I couldn't think of a better team of girls to go [to the state championship] with."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.