Sparrows Pt. overwhelms Williamsport

November 11, 1995|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

If someone had told Bobby Hallet in August that Sparrows Point would be playing in next week's Class 1A state title game, the Pointers' first-year coach would have told that person to "see a doctor."

After all, Hallet inherited a team that lost its leading scorer and starting goalie. And only 14 players showed up for the Pointers' first practice back on Aug. 15.

None of that seemed to matter last night as Sparrows Point, a team that Hallet declared "the hottest in the area," romped past Williamsport, 7-2, in a state semifinal matchup at North County.

The Pointers (10-4-1) will meet Pocomoke (13-3), which advanced by downing Poolesville, 1-0, in yesterday's other semifinal, at 2:30 p.m. next Saturday at Old Mill for the Class 1A state championship.

"We have a good, hard-working group of kids and they've improved every game," said Hallet. "We're finally starting to jell and we're peaking at the right time."

The Pointers were on top of their game in the first half, which saw them take a 6-0 lead. Senior midfielder Sean Volz scored the Pointers' first four goals.

Volz completed his hat trick 13 minutes into the game and put Sparrows Point out front 4-0 on a feed from Danny Harris with 21 minutes left in the first half.

Chris Butler upped the lead to five goals when he converted a pass from Harris and Joey Wilson (two goals, two assists) closed out the first-half scoring on an assist from Butler (one, one).

"We were just hoping to knock the ball around and play good soccer," said Volz. "We were ready to go and our team played really well in the first half."

The Pointers held their opponent from Hagerstown shotless and scoreless until the 52nd minutes when sophomore Greg Andra ended Sparrows Point's shutout bid with a goal on a feed from junior Rusty Tritsch.

Aimee Grahe, an Olympic Development Program player, assisted on Williamsport's final goal in the 68th minute but that goal was answered by Wilson with 8:10 remaining.

"We just stunk up the field in the first half," said Williamsport coach Stan Stouffer, whose team finished 12-2-2.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.