Northwestern-PG speeds by Severna Park Early goal too much for No. 11 Falcons

November 11, 1995|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Northwestern of Prince George's County got an early goal from Henry Garcia but had to survive a furious late rally last night from No. 11 Severna Park for a 1-0 victory in a Class 4A state semifinal at Arundel.

Northwestern (12-4), which last won a state title in 1972, does not have an American-born player on its roster. Garcia comes from El Salvador, and the Wildcats also have players from Egypt, Ghana and Mexico.

The Wildcats used their speed to control play in the first half and for part of the second half. Northwestern, namely Kwaku Boatenga, repeatedly set up good scoring chances by beating Severna Park to the ball and making sharp passes and long runs.

"They had really quick bursts of speed," said Scott Vane of Severna Park. "They were very aggressive."

The Wildcats scored on their first shot. Kanteah Peters started the play by sending a long through ball to Garcia racing down the right wing.

Garcia and Severna Park's Grant Shaklee then battled for the ball. But Shaklee suddenly fell, and Garcia moved past him and beat goalie Evan Henry with a shot just inside the far post at 3:53.

The Wildcats also used their speed to shut down Severna Park (12-5) on offense. Peters effectively marked Vane throughout the game, and broke up a number of Severna Park scoring chances with his good speed and clearing.

Northwestern outshot Severna Park, 5-2, in the first half, but the momentum changed after the break. The Falcons had several good opportunities in the final 20 minutes, but came up empty.

Severna Park outshot the Wildcats, 7-4, in the second half and stepped up the pressure.

With just under 29 minutes remaining, Vane barely missed on back-to-back shots from in close. Two minutes later, Jon King broke through the Northwestern defense, but his shot from about 15 yards hit the left post.

"We had opportunities, we didn't capitalize," said Severna Park coach Don Gregg. "Maybe we were just a little too unselfish, trying to pass instead of taking it [to the goal]."

Severna Park somewhat neutralized Northwestern's speed advantage by touch passing more late in the game. The Falcons took more time passing in the first half, and the Wildcats often intercepted or broke up the play.

And as the second half wore on, Northwestern appeared to wear out. Players fell down several times, causing play to stop.

"It [can be] a delaying tactic," said Gregg. "If they allow it, they get to waste a lot of time."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.