Mary Grace Booker: In an obituary published Saturday, the...

November 11, 1995

Mary Grace Booker: In an obituary published Saturday, the first name of Mary Grace Booker, widow of Karl L. Booker, was omitted. Also omitted was the name of Mr. Booker's father, John L. Booker, a survivor. The Sun regrets the errors.

Karl L. Booker Sr., 69, manager for phone company

Karl L. Booker Sr., a retired Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. manager and amateur radio operator, died of cancer Wednesday at his Woodlawn residence. He was 69.

Mr. Booker, who retired in 1985 as a video and mobile telephone manager for C&P, missed only one day of work in his 38-year career.


He was born and raised in Brooklyn Park and, after graduating from Glen Burnie High school in 1943, enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He served in Germany and was discharged in 1946 with the rank of sergeant.

Mr. Booker had a longtime interest in ham radio and broadcast from his home as W30EJ for 48 years. He was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Services were planned for 11:30 a.m. today at Loring Byers Funeral Home, 8728 Liberty Road, Randallstown.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, the former Grace Bussard; a son, Karl L. Booker Jr. of Edgewood; a daughter, Carol Ann Gray of Cockeysville; his father, John W. Booker of Brooklyn; a brother, Roland G. Booker of Brooklyn; and four grandchildren.

Laurent van der Veken, 40, owned Stagecoach Saloon

Laurent J. van der Veken, owner of the Stagecoach Saloon and Restaurant, died of pneumonia Tuesday at Mercy Medical Center.

Mr. van der Veken, who was 40, lived above the business he started 2 1/2 years ago on North Charles Street. He had designed the remodeling of the building, which previously housed the China Clipper restaurant.

A native of Nyack, N.Y., he came to the Baltimore area as a child and graduated from Hereford High School. He had been a salesman before starting the Stagecoach.

His interests included country and western dancing and

classical music.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today at SS. Philip and James Roman Catholic Church, 2801 N. Charles St.

He is survived by his parents, Jozef and Otilia van der Veken of Jamesburg, N.J.; two brothers, Joe van der Veken of Jamesburg and Jan van der Veken of Parkton; three sisters, Oti van der Veken of White Hall, Maria Tompkins of Columbia and Laura Eurice of Monkton; his grandparents, Jaime and Sonia Kisilevich of Curacao; his fiance, Rebecca Brotmarkle of Baltimore; and 15 nieces and nephews.

Ernest F. Duker, retired chief engineer at the Maryland House of Correction in Jessup, died Wednesday of heart disease at the St. Elizabeth Home for Nursing Care.

Mr. Duker, who was 84 and lived in Southwest Baltimore, retired in the 1970s after working for 20 years at the penal institution.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1932 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and played guard on its football team.

Many years ago, he was an engineer aboard merchant ships and, during World War II, taught courses in marine engineering. In the late 1940s, he became a stationary engineer for Maryland Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. and then worked at American Brewery.

He was a member of the Lithuanian Hall Association and a fan of the Colts and Orioles.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today at Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church, 4416 Wilkens Ave.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, the former Catherine R. Foit, and many nieces and nephews.

Lewis A. Welsch, 74, steel company electrician

Lewis A. Welsch, a retired ARMCO Steel Corp. electrician, died of cancer Thursday at his Towson home.

Mr. Welsch, who was 74, retired about a decade ago after 43 years with the steel company. Born in Baltimore, he was educated in city schools and served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a member of the Notre Dame Council of the Knights of Columbus, the Parkville Post of the American Legion and two golfing groups, the Happy Hackers and the Sandblasters.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd. in Baynesville.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Marie Reed; three sons, Lewis A. Welsch Jr. of Millersville, Thomas A. Welsch of Parkville and Mark A. Welsch of Baltimore; two daughters, Donna M. DePasquale and Karen M. Susio, both of Perry Hall; a sister, Katherine Climer of Cleveland, Tenn.; two brothers, John Welsch of Bishopville and James Welsch of Timonium; and 11 grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.