Nursing home patients unhurt in fire in second-floor room

November 06, 1995

The second floor of a Glen Burnie nursing home was evacuated when bed linens caught fire early yesterday morning, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.

Two employees of the two-story, 120-patient Bay Meadow Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in the 7300 block of Furnace Branch Road were treated on the scene -- one for elevated blood pressure and the other for smoke inhalation -- but no patients were injured, said Lt. Robert Kornmann, a fire department spokesman.

The fire broke out about 3 a.m. in the room of an 81-year-old woman when a lamp was placed too close to combustible bed linens. The woman was removed promptly from the second-floor room, Lieutenant Kornmann said.

The fire was extinguished in about 30 minutes after causing damage estimated at $5,000 to the room and its contents, he said. It was ruled accidental.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.