Dec. 16 offered as new date for Tyson-Mathis

November 04, 1995|By Alan Goldstein

LAS VEGAS -- The manager of Buster Mathis Jr. said yesterday the MGM Grand has offered Dec. 16 as a possible date for the rescheduling of Mathis' nontitle bout with Mike Tyson, whose thumb injury forced postponement of tonight's fight.

"It really depends on whether Mike's thumb is healed by then," said Brian Lee. "Otherwise, I believe the fight will take place in the first two weeks of January."

MGM Grand publicist Bill Doak said, "We're continuing to review the situation with Fox [TV] and the promoters."

Two orthopedists said it would be four to six weeks before Tyson can fight again.

The MGM Grand has an exclusive contract to showcase Tyson.

"They told me that's when we'll be fighting [World Boxing Council champion] Terry Norris," said Arnie Rosenthal, manager of IBF junior middleweight champion Paul Vaden, who dethroned Baltimore's Vincent Pettway.

The Vaden-Norris match had been one of three championship fights that had been scheduled on the Fox telecast of the Tyson-Mathis fight.

If he beats Mathis, Tyson is tentatively scheduled to fight England's Frank Bruno on March 16 for his WBC heavyweight crown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.