St. Mary's gets past Boys' Latin

November 02, 1995|By Bill Free | Bill Free,SUN STAFF

It will not go down as one of the more glamorous sports celebrations in St. Mary's School history. But no one cared.

The Saints' soccer team found happiness in a pile of mud on a Germantown Elementary School recreation field late yesterday afternoon in Annapolis, moments after defeating defending champion Boys' Latin, 2-1, in a shootout in the semifinals of the MIAA B Conference tournament.

Amid a steady drizzle and near darkness, the jubilant St. Mary's players piled on each other in the middle of the same field on which they had dueled the Lakers to a 1-1 draw during 100 minutes of mud-packed action, necessitating the best-of-five shootout to determine a winner.

St. Mary's (13-3-2) won the penalty-kick shootout, 4-2, to advance to Saturday's 3 p.m. MIAA B Conference championship game against St. Paul's at UMBC.

St. Paul's gained a berth opposite the Saints with a 4-1 decision over Park School in the other semifinal yesterday.

Freshman Kevin Corradini touched off the wild St. Mary's scene when he sent a booming kick off the hands of Boys' Latin goalkeeper Graham Oglesby into the net to clinch the shootout victory.

St. Mary's led by two (4-2) with only one penalty kick remaining for each team. If Corradini had missed, Boys' Latin (9-7-2) would have had a chance to tie the shootout in the final kick for each team.

"I wanted to hit it [ball] to the right and I did," said Corradini. "I was worried about my ability to kick because I wasn't used to these wet-weather shoes. It felt real good."

Chris Criswell, Brad Topper and Marcus LaChapelle knocked in the other three penalty kicks for St. Mary's, which went 4-for-4 in the shootout.

Boys' Latin was 2-for-4 in the shootout, with David Rose and Kip Edwards connecting for scores.

The shootout began on a rather ominous note for the Lakers when goalkeeper Oglesby took the first kick for the visitors and hit the right post.

"We hit the post and our goalkeeper got his hands on two of their shots," said Boys' Latin coach Butch Maisel. "The way I see it, we were two evenly matched teams all season and it came down to a shootout because somebody had to win. We expected a shootout and we had practiced for a week on penalty kicks. We even had simulated little games."

St. Mary's coach Jamie McNealey said: "As a soccer purist, I'd rather decide the game with regular play rather than penalty kicks but we had no other choice. I know Boys' Latin thinks we play too physical [three yellow cards yesterday] but that is because we're intense rivals with them and Friends."

* St. Paul's 4, Park 1: Chris Horich and Ryan Hubler each had one goal and one assist to lead St. Paul's (12-2-1) over visiting Park (7-7-2) in a MIAA B Conference semifinal game.

Park's Adam Larkey tied the game at 1-1 just 32 seconds into the second half. However, Horich scored the game-winner 25 seconds later on a rebound.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.