Provoked St. Paul's romps, 4-1

November 02, 1995|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Call it the 25-second wake-up call.

St. Paul's had controlled the game, tempo and momentum, but a defensive breakdown in front of the goal allowed Park to tie the game at the beginning of the second half.

The Crusaders immediately charged back down the field, reclaimed the lead 25 seconds later, then ran away with a 4-1 victory over visiting Park yesterday in a MIAA B Conference semifinal game.

The Crusaders (12-2-1) play St. Mary's Saturday at 3 p.m. at UMBC Stadium for the B Conference title. St. Mary's defeated Boys' Latin, 2-1, in yesterday's other semifinal, winning a shootout, 4-2, for the win.

The game-winning goal was set up by Ryan Hubler, who took the ball upfield and powered a shot on goal. Bruins goalkeeper Danny Diamond deflected the shot on a diving save, but Chris Horich snatched the rebound and fired it into the open goal to give the Crusaders a 2-1 lead one minute into the second half.

"Basically we knew we had to pick up the intensity after they tied the game," said Horich, St. Paul's leading scorer. "Our defense has carried us through the season and that wasn't like our defense to allow that goal that tied it up."

St. Paul's coach Howard Schindler said he wasn't worried how his team would react when the game was tied, and wasn't surprised how quickly it rebounded.

"The fact is that they shouldn't have scored and we were angry," Schindler said. "And we came back. It certainly had lots to do with us getting some momentum."

The Crusaders' momentum is usually generated by the playmaking Horich. Earlier this season, with Horich not a full strength, Park (7-7-2) tied St. Paul's, 0-0.

Horich, who had a goal and an assist, was a major factor yesterday, and showed his versatility by scoring the game-winner on a makeshift play.

"He's so opportunistic," Schindler said. "We don't always run the offense through him, but he always seems to be in the right place."

Horich's goal revitalized St. Paul's, which pounded out 16 shots and six corner kicks in the second half.

The Crusaders pushed the lead to 3-1 when Brendan Smith scored among a crowd in front of the goal eight minutes into the second half. St. Paul's sealed the trip to the title game when Matt Gischel tapped in a rebound of Horich's shot with 9:05 remaining, raising the lead to 4-1.

"We've had a lot of problems in the second half finishing strong," Horich said. "We weren't going to let that happen today."

* St. Mary's 2, Boys' Latin 1: The Saints (13-3-2) won the best-of-five shootout, 4-2, on penalty kicks by Chris Criswell, Brad Topper, Marcus LaChapelle and Kevin Corradini after the two teams had played 100 minutes for a 1-1 tie. Dave Ulrich had the lone goal for Boys' Latin (9-7-2) off an assist from Ian Shure.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.