Suit claims print shop fumes made woman sick

October 12, 1995|By ALAN J. CRAVER | ALAN J. CRAVER,SUN STAFF

A woman is suing a Columbia print shop for $1 million, claiming she became ill after inhaling fumes that seeped into an office building's ventilation system from inks used at the shop.

Janet Major of Brooklyn Park filed the suit against Action Signs & Graphics Ltd., which operates a print shop in the 9000 block of Mendenhall Court, on Oct. 4 in Howard Circuit Court.

Ms. Major, who works at a neighboring office, also is seeking $500,000 in damages from C&M Management Corp., a Bladensburg company that owns the building in Columbia's Owen Brown village.

L Officials at the companies could not be reached for comment.

The plaintiff claims that Action is negligent for allowing fumes from its inks to go into heating, air-conditioning and ventilation systems that are shared with other offices in the building.

In addition, Ms. Major says in the suit that C&M is negligent for not installing ventilation systems that would have prevented the fumes' seepage.

Ms. Major, who works at HTS Environmental Group, says in the suit that the fumes cause her to constantly smell burning plastic and suffer severe headaches, confusion and disorientation. She asserts that her condition has required her to seek medical treatment and lose time at work.

Police log

xTC

Oakland Mills:Oakland Mills: 9500 block of Longlook Lane: A burglar entered a home through a basement window and took jewelry and cash Tuesday, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.