North County Library to start accepting reservations Monday for meeting room use

NEIGHBORS

September 27, 1995|By BONITA FORMWALT | BONITA FORMWALT,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

I COULDN'T find your picture in the paper last week. What happened?" my friend asked. Summoning all the dignity I could, I explained that to allow all of Baltimore to "wake up to a better newspaper" certain changes were made to the Arundel Community News section.

"I get it. The Neighbors correspondents' pictures were cut to make room for an enlarged color photo of Dan Rodricks' torso," she said.

Silently, I mulled this unpleasant possibility.

"Don't take it so hard. They cut Ann Landers' photo, too," she continued. "Anyway, you said having your picture in the paper every week took away your privacy."

That was true. Five years ago, when the Neighbors columns began, I often would find myself in conversations with people who weren't sure how they knew me, but I looked so familiar they assumed we were related.

Eventually, I found I could no longer shop without wearing makeup. My children were expected to be funny and literate. I was forced to buy personal hygiene products in another county.

"So, actually this is a good thing," she said.

Perhaps. But now I have to find a second type of photo ID when I write a check.

Say cheese, Glen Burnie.

The North County Library will start accepting reservations Monday for meeting room use next year. Bookings are taken on a first-come, first-served basis and can be made by calling 222-6270.

There is no charge for the use, which is available only to nonprofit groups.

"This is one of the more popular branches," said branch representative Margaret Meetz. "We have a lot of groups who meet here."

Meetings may be scheduled during regular business hours, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday and Saturday.

A series of classes offering parental education and support is offered through the Parent Involvement Center at Oakwood Elementary School, 330 Oak Manor Drive in Glen Burnie.

The programs are free and open to families of students in public and private schools in Anne Arundel county.

Here is the schedule of classes:

"Siblings Without Rivalry: Keeping Children Separate and Unequal," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. today.

* "Coping With Kids: Cooperative Discipline," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

* "Siblings Without Rivalry: Siblings in Roles," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 4.

* "Child Abuse: What Do We Know and How Do We Prevent It," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 10.

* "Study Skills," 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 11.

* "Stress Management For Parents of Middle School Students," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 18.

* "Understanding Special Education, Preschool Version, Part 1," 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 24.

* "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen: Helping Children Deal With Feelings," 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 25.

* "U.S.E. Preschool Version, Part 2," 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 26.

To register for the Oakwood programs, call 222-6429.

The Department of Recreation and Parks has scheduled a variety of programs in the Glen Burnie area. Registration is required.

* Learn the techniques and styles of ballroom dancing during a 10-week course at Corkran Middle School, 7600 Quarterfield Road. The cost is $60 per couple.

Beginning Ballroom Dancing will be held from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays, starting Oct. 5.

Intermediate Ballroom Dancing I will be held from 8:05 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. Thursdays, starting Oct. 5.

Intermediate Ballroom Dancing II will be held from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Oct. 3.

Advanced Ballroom Dancing will be held from 8:05 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Oct. 3.

* Elementary-age children are invited to enjoy a free 10-week arts and crafts program from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., starting Monday at Glendale Elementary School, 105 Carroll Road.

* Richard Henry Lee Elementary, 400 A. Street S.W., will hold a free 10-week Fun & Games drop-in for elementary-age children from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Oct. 4.

* Ten weeks of free Open Gym Basketball will be available from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., starting Monday at Glen Burnie High's girl's gymnasium, 7550 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd.

For registration information, call the recreation department at 222-7300.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.