Wood stove fire spreads, badly damaging home

September 26, 1995

A fire in a wood stove apparently extended into the walls of a split-level house in Aspen Run and forced a family out about 3 a.m. Sunday. Fire officials said the family was awakened by the smoke detector and called 911 before fleeing the building.

Hampstead Assistant Fire Chief Raymond Rill said the fire in the wood stove entered the interior of the wall through a split in the mortar and began burning up toward the roof of the house in the 100 block of Opal Avenue.

Firefighters ripped off the exterior siding of the wall near the stove to extinguish the blaze and check for possible spreading of the flames. No one was injured. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

Engines from Hampstead, Reese, Manchester, Westminster, Lineboro and Arcadia, and Boring of Baltimore County, were dispatched to the two-alarm blaze. Units were out for almost two hours.

Bulk trash pickup scheduled Oct. 21

Hampstead's fall bulk trash pickup is scheduled for Oct. 21. Residents should call the Town Office by Oct. 18 if they have bulk items, such as appliances, that they intend to put out for the free pickup.

Information: 239-7033, 239-7408 or 374-2761.

Tip Line:

If you have information for the North report, call Amy Miller at 751-7912 during the day or leave a message on the tip line after hours.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.