Brother John Joseph Wise, Catholic school teacherBrother...

September 25, 1995

Brother John Joseph Wise, Catholic school teacher

Brother John Joseph Wise, S.M., 76, who spend most of his life teaching in Catholic schools, died of a heart ailment Wednesday in Hollywood, Fla.

The Baltimore native and Marianist brother taught at Catholic high schools in Pittsburgh, Pa., Rockaway, N.Y., and Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio. He also spent 15 years at schools in Puerto Rico, and was director and principal of Most Holy Trinity High School in Brooklyn, N.Y.

He moved from Brooklyn to Hollywood in 1979 and was a counselor at Chaminade-Madonna High School there until he retired in 1994 after 56 years in the priesthood.

He attended St. James Elementary School in Baltimore and entered the postulate in Beacon, N.Y., around 1934. He graduated from the University of Dayton.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. today in the Weber House at Cardinal Gibbons School, 3225 Wilkens Ave. in Baltimore.

Ernest Allan Thomas, 79, BGE electrical worker

Ernest Allan Thomas, 79, an electric construction worker for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. for 43 years, died Wednesday of Parkinson's disease at Meridian Nursing Center-Hamilton.

A lifelong Baltimore resident, Mr. Thomas graduated from Polytechnic Institute in 1933. He took electrical engineering courses at the Johns Hopkins University and spent his entire career with BGE, retiring around 1978.

He was treasurer of the Sunday school at St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Baltimore for 53 years.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at Schimunek Funeral Home, 3331 Brehms Lane in Baltimore.

Mr. Thomas is survived by his wife of 54 years, Eleanora M. Thomas of Baltimore; a son, Louis E. Thomas of Perry Hall; a daughter, Eleanor Myers of Baltimore; a sister, Alma Rita Joy of Olivet; three grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Araminta R. Carter, 71, former social worker

Araminta R. Carter, a former social worker and bibliophile, died Wednesday of cancer at the Joseph Richey Hospice Inc. She was 71.

A resident of Pikesville for 30 years, Mrs. Carter worked for Gordon's Bookstore and Encore Books during the 1970s and 1980s. A foster child care specialist, she worked as a social worker for the city Welfare Department during the 1960s.

Known as Binna, she briefly worked as a police reporter during the 1940s, for The Evening Sun. She met her future husband, W. Snowden Carter, a reporter for The Sun, in the press room of the old Baltimore City police headquarters. They married in 1946.

In 1945, Mr. Carter became a racing writer for the Evening Sun until leaving the newspaper in 1961 when he became general manager of the Maryland Horse Breeders' Association and editor of Maryland Horse Magazine. He stepped down in 1986 but continues to write a weekly column for the Daily Racing Form.

Mrs. Carter, who shared with her husband the ownership of a racing stable and breeding farm in Upperco, preferred book collecting to collecting horses.

The former Araminta Rullman was born and raised in Annapolis and was a 1941 graduate of Annapolis High School. She earned her bachelor's degree in 1945 from the University of Michigan.

A service for Mrs. Carter will be held at 1 p.m. todayat St. Stephen's Traditional Episcopal Church, Mays Chapel and Jenifer Road, Timonium, where she was a communicant.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by two sons, Bruce Carter of Hampstead and George Carter of Mullica Hills, N.J.; a daughter, Lucy Acton of Lutherville; a grandson; and eight granddaughters. John D. Graefe Sr., a retired pipefitter, died Wednesday at the North Arundel Hospital after several strokes. He was 89 and had lived in Glen Burnie for about 50 years.

Mr. Graefe, a Baltimore native, retired in 1968 after 20 years with Harbison Walker Refractories, a fire brick company.

His first wife, the former Vira Burroughs, died in 1961.

Services for Mr. Graefe will be held at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 308 Oak Manor Drive in Glen Burnie.

He is survived by his wife, the former Anna E. Upton; two sons, John D. Graefe Jr. and Frederick R. Graefe; a daughter, Ruth A. Bird; a sister, Rose Robinson; six grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren. All are of Glen Burnie.

Grace Kathryn Boulden, 80, railroad ticket agent

Grace Kathryn Boulden, a ticket agent for the Pennsylvania Railroad in Wilmington, Del., and Perryville for 32 years, died Friday of complications from asthma at Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace. She was 80.

The former Grace Hasson, who retired from the railroad in 1974, lived in Perryville all her life and owned a cottage along the Elk River. She followed her late father, Alexander Hasson, and several other relatives into the railroad business.

Services will be held at 2 p.m. todayat the Patterson Funeral Home in Perryville.

Her husband, Paul Horace Boulden, died in 1973.

Malinda Houston Lee, beauty shop owner

Malinda Houston Lee, who owned a beauty shop in Baltimore's Upton community for about 20 years, died Wednesday at the Richmond Nursing Home in Richmond, Va. after a long illness. She was 91.

The Selma, Ala., native lived in Baltimore for about 35 years before moving to Richmond in 1979.

A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. today at Scott-Lightfoot Funeral Home, 3021 N St. in Richmond.

She is survived by a son, Samuel F. Grant Sr. of Richmond; and seven grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.