Overheated oil starts fire at cement plant

September 22, 1995|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,SUN STAFF

Overheated lubricating oil in the gears of the No. 1 kiln at Lehigh Portland Cement Co. in Union Bridge apparently ignited a fire at the plant about 1 p.m. yesterday.

No one was injured, but firefighters had to rotate personnel every 15 minutes because of the intense heat inside the kiln, fire officials said.

The plant remained open and employees continued to work in other parts of the facility. The blaze was confined to the kiln, which firefighters said suffered no structural damage.

Fire units from Union Bridge, New Windsor, Taneytown, Westminster,and Libertytown and New Midway of Frederick County were dispatched to the one-alarm blaze.

Fire units were out for almost two hours.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.