Patterns of blood questioned by expert Ware is being tried in slaying of 2 women

September 22, 1995|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

A crime scene expert told a Howard County Circuit jury yesterday that the former Navy seaman accused of shooting to death two women in a Severn home in 1993 should have had blood on his clothes when he was arrested aboutis Ware should have had blood on his gloves and on his ski jacket if he had been the shooter of the two women about 12:30 p.m. Dec. 30, 1993.

Betina Kristi Gentry, 18, and Cynthia Allen, 22, were found dead about 1 p.m. in the home Ms. Gentry shared with her mother in the 1900 block of Bastille Court.

Mr. Ware, 24, once Ms. Gentry's fiance, faces two counts of first-degree murder and could get the death penalty.

Mr. Sharpe testified that Mrs. Allen was shot in the temple at point-blank range.

Because of that, he said, Mr. Ware should have had traces of blood on his ski jacket and the right-hand glove that police say he was wearing at the time of the shooting.

"The blood would have flown, and because it would have flown it should have landed on the weapon and it should have landed on the [gunman's] hands and clothing," Mr. Sharpe said.

He said his conclusions did not apply to the shooting of Ms. Gentry, who was also shot in the temple.

The bullet entered her head from above, as she lay on a hallway floor of the home, so that the blood likely would not have flown upward, he said.

Under cross-examination by Assistant State's Attorney Cynthia M. Ferris, Mr. Sharpe acknowledged that blood stains do not always show up on the clothing of many of those involved in point-blank range shootings, including many cases where a suicide victim puts a gun to his or her temple.

"I wouldn't say there have been plenty of cases [where there has been no bloodstains], but I have seen it," he said.

In other testimony, Alonzo Parks, a friend of Mr. Ware's, said he did not think Mr. Ware ever carried a gun and that he never saw him with one in the two months before the murders.

Ms. Gentry's brother has testified for the prosecution that Mr. Ware threatened him with a handgun a few hours before the slayings.

The prosecution ended its case Wednesday after a friend of both victims said he was on the telephone with Mrs. Allen a short time before the killings.

That witness, Edward Love Anderson, told jurors that he heard Ms. Gentry arguing with Mr. Ware in the background and that the fighting got so heated that Mrs. Allen put the phone down to investigate.

Anderson said that he then heard three gunshots before the phone line went dead.

The trial is being held in Howard County at the request of Mr. Ware's lawyers, who said the move was necessary to ensure a fair trial.

The case, being heard before Circuit Judge Dennis M. Sweeney, is expected to go to the jury of eight women and four men by the middle of next week.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.