Slain woman had sought to win over accused stepson, family says

September 11, 1995|By Dennis O'Brien and Scott Shane | Dennis O'Brien and Scott Shane,Sun Staff Writers

Kimberly Sue Ramsey, who was shot to death in her Middle River home Thursday, did all she could to win over the stepson who entered her life with her Valentine's Day marriage, according to her family.

She packed lunches for Roger Dale Ramsey Jr., cooked his dinner, washed his clothes, bought furniture for his bedroom and went out looking for him when he ran away from the home they shared with his father in the 300 block of Endsleigh Ave.

But police say the 18-year-old, who spent time with a crowd with a reputation for heavy drinking, loud rock music and wild driving, repaid his stepmother by plotting a burglary that led to her death.

Mrs. Ramsey, 32, was found slain in her bed Thursday night, about 15 hours after she was shot three times in the head and chest.

Police say that a burglary was planned by Mr. Ramsey and five other young people in a two-story, $400-a-month Middle River townhouse rented by 18-year-old Selena Wiatrowski.

Mr. Ramsey returned there after the killing to divide the loot among the group, police said. He later told police his share was $200, according to court documents.

Ms. Wiatrowski's neighbors in the Maple Crest development said that for the past month, her two-bedroom house on Bellanca Court was the site of all-night parties.

"The door stayed open all night," said Brian Doyle, 26, who lives three doors away. "They used to walk up and down here drinking, and peeling wheels," screeching the tires of their cars.

Mr. Doyle said they were not threatening -- "just little skinny kids worried about drinking and partying."

Last week, Mr. Ramsey had a falling out with his father, Roger Dale Ramsey Sr., 51, and stepmother after he wrecked his Pontiac Sunbird, according to relatives.

The father and Mrs. Ramsey visited the 18-year-old in Franklin Square Hospital Center, where he was being treated for minor injuries. They argued, relatives said.

Police later that day arrested the elder Mr. Ramsey on a warrant for violation of probation from an earlier case.

Statements from two defendants, filed by police in Towson District Court, give the following account of the events leading up to Mrs. Ramsey's death:

About 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, a group of young friends -- Mr. Ramsey, John Isaac Reed, 20, Robert Scott Simmons, 19, Daniel Scheuerman, 18, and Jamie Lynn Arthur, 14 -- gathered at Ms. Wiatrowski's house.

The discussion turned to burglary, and Mr. Ramsey volunteered that with his father in jail, his stepmother was alone in the home.

Ms. Wiatrowski supplied Mr. Reed with a .38-caliber revolver and three bullets, records say. All but Ms. Wiatrowski then piled into Mr. Simmons' red Dodge pickup truck and headed for the Ramseys' home.

According to Mr. Scheuerman's account, Mr. Ramsey showed him where to cut the phone line and told him to break a window to make it look like a burglary. A few minutes later, he heard a woman scream and three shots fired, Mr. Scheuerman told police.

The group reassembled at Ms. Wiatrowski's house and divided the booty -- cash and credit cards taken out in a pillow case and steel safe. Kimberly Michele Lange, 17, arrived and was given a share, according to the account given police.

A young neighbor called police Thursday after she saw two young women walk out of the Ramseys' driveway, calling for help and saying someone had been shot, neighbors said.

Police found the house ransacked and, over the next two days arrested five teen-agers and charged them with first-degree murder and other offenses.

Police said they found Mr. Scheuerman and the 14-year-old Arthur girl in Daytona Beach, Fla., where they had driven in the victim's 1988 Chevrolet Beretta. The Lange and Arthur youths have been charged as adults, police said.

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Mr. Reed.

Police have not said who they believe fired the fatal shots.

Relatives yesterday described Mrs. Ramsey as a loving woman who was determined to make her 7-month-old marriage work and overcome her stepson's resentment.

"She loved to be outdoors, she loved working with her hands, and she loved being active," said her sister, Christina Davis of Pasadena.

Mrs. Ramsey was the youngest of five children of Mary Frampton and the late Frederick Frampton, a welder and supervisor at the Buffalo Tank subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corp.

She was born in Baltimore, but the family moved when she was about 3 to Anne Arundel County. She grew up in the Havenwood section of Pasadena.

She graduated from Chesapeake High School in 1981 and worked at McDonald's restaurants for a few years before becoming a repair technician at the Sears Repair Service Center in Millersville.

Mrs. Ramsey , whose first marriage ended in divorce, met Roger D. Ramsey Sr., a mechanic who also worked there, at about the time of her divorce five years ago.

By February, when she married Mr. Ramsey, she was working at a Domino's Pizza shop in Millersville. She quit to be a full-time homemaker, according to Ms. Davis.

She enjoyed gardening, softball, scuba diving, crabbing and fishing, Ms. Davis said.

Services are scheduled for 1 p.m. today at Gonce Funeral Home in Pasadena.

In addition to her husband and sister, Mrs. Ramsey is survived by her mother Mary Joseph Reinecker and her stepfather, Joseph Reinecker, both of Frankfort, Del.; two other sisters, Dawn James of Montgomery, Ala., and Regina Rogers of Brooklyn; a brother, Frederick A. Frampton II of Birmingham, Ala.; two nieces and four nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.