Police hold man after 10-mile chase

September 03, 1995|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

A Havre de Grace man accused of leading police on a 10-mile chase before crashing Thursday morning on Interstate 95 in Cecil County is being held in lieu of $75,000 bond in the Harford County Detention Center, authorities said yesterday.

Anthony Jordan, 30, of the 200 block of Wilson Street is charged with assault with intent to murder Gabriela Medley, 37, who also lives in the 200 block of Wilson St., and kidnapping her, said Lt. John VanGilder of the Havre de Grace Police Department.

The chase, which reached speeds exceeding 80 mph, ended about 6 a.m. when Mr. Jordan lost control of a 1985 Mercury Cougar owned by Ms. Medley, his girlfriend, near the Chesapeake House on I-95, about a mile south of the North East exit, the lieutenant said.

State police from the John F. Kennedy barracks joined the chase on I-95. Troopers said the Cougar veered from the I-95 northbound lanes, spun across the median, continued across three southbound lanes and stopped after striking an embankment along the west shoulder of the highway.

Lieutenant VanGilder said the suspect tried to flee but was captured quickly, and, after a struggle with Havre de Grace officers, state police and Maryland Transportation Authority police, was handcuffed. MTA police became involved after the Cougar, traveling east in the westbound lanes on the Hatem Memorial Bridge across the Susquehanna River at Havre de Grace, went around the toll booths and continued on U.S. 40 into Cecil County, he said.

Mr. Jordan was treated at Harford Memorial Hospital for head and facial lacerations and released to police, authorities said.

Ms. Medley and Officers Wayne Young and John Williams were treated for minor injuries at Union Hospital in Elkton and released.

A .38-caliber pistol with five spent shell casings was found near the accident scene.

"Witnesses have indicated shots may have been fired at the Wilson Street location in Havre de Grace before police arrived," Lieutenant VanGilder said.

The incident began when Havre de Grace officers answered a report of domestic violence about 5:30 a.m. Thursday.

When they arrived, officers said they saw a man, who appeared to have a pistol, force a woman into a car. They said the man drove away at a high speed with officers in pursuit.

After arresting Mr. Jordan, officers said, they learned he was wanted on a state parole commission warrant issued in June.

Lieutenant VanGilder said the warrant was for an alleged violation of parole that began in April. He said the charges in the previous case involved resisting arrest, drug distribution and theft, but it was unclear where those charges originated.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.