Dr. Ernest Walter Shervington, who practiced internal medicine in Baltimore for nearly 50 years, died in his sleep at the Keswick Home where he had lived for the last two years. He was 89.
He began his practice in the mid-1930s on North Carey Street. In 1953, he moved to a house at Harlem Avenue and Bentalou Street where he practiced until retiring in 1982.
"He was a family practitioner who was well-respected," said Dr. Joshua R. Mitchell, a friend for 30 years. "After working all day downtown, he'd come home and see patients from his home office. He was absolutely dedicated to the practice of medicine."
Born in Antigua in the British West Indies, Dr. Shervington moved to New York City with his family when he was 12.
He was a graduate of the Preparatory High School, College of the City of New York, and earned his bachelor's degree from Howard University in 1931. He graduated from Howard's medical school in 1934 and interned at Freedmen's Hospital in Washington, D.C.
During the Korean War, he served at Fort Bragg, N.C., and was discharged in 1953 with the rank of captain.
Dr. Shervington was director of the Baltimore Health Department Venereal Disease Clinics from 1954 to 1976 and was chief of medical clinics at the old City Hospital from 1960 to 1970. He also was a consultant to Church and Provident hospitals and the Medicare Division of the Social Security Administration.
In 1964, he and the late Dr. Ralph Young became the first black staff physicians at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
His memberships included the American Medical Association, the Baltimore City Medical Association, the Maryland Medical Association, the American Public Health Association, the American Geriatric Society, the American Heart Association and the International College of Angiology.
He was a fellow of the Royal Society of Health in London, American College of Angiology and New York Academy of Sciences.
Dr. Shervington was a member of the Episcopal Church of St. Mary the Virgin on Walbrook Avenue in Baltimore, where he was treasurer and worked on diocesan committees. He was also a vestryman and senior warden and member of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Cathedral Church of the Incarnation, St. Paul Street and University Parkway.
He is survived by his wife of 61 years, the former Charlotte Watson; a son, Dr. Walter W. Shervington of New Orleans; two daughters, Anne Shervington Davis and Carol Shervington Wright, both of Baltimore; a sister, Olive Nowell of New York City; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
Memorial donations may be made to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, P.O. Box 6936, Baltimore 21216; or Howard University Medical School, Washington, D.C. 20059.