100 Years Ago* A fire in Annapolis destroyed the grocery...

FLASHBACKS

July 16, 1995|By Robert M. Pennington of the Ann Arrundell County Historical Society.

100 Years Ago

* A fire in Annapolis destroyed the grocery and ship chandlery store of George W. Moss & Co. on the north side of city dock together with its contents. Adjoining buildings were damaged by water and several injuries were reported. Later two kegs of gunpowder stored on the second floor exploded, causing additional damage. -- The Sun, Sept. 2, 1895.

* In Annapolis, Louis Gardner has been awarded the contract for building the new Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church on the corner of Maryland Avenue and Prince George Street at a total cost of $25,000. Owens and Bieler are the architects. The Rev. John Edwards is the pastor. -- The Sun, Sept. 6, 1895.

* James Simms, a fisherman, caught on a hook and line, in the Severn River, a rock fish measuring two feet and weighing 11 pounds. -- The Sun, Sept. 13, 1895.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.