3 arrested in bomb threats

April 27, 1995|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writer Carol L. Bowers contributed to this article.

Three teen-agers have been charged by county police this week with making bomb threats that forced the evacuation of four schools.

Police said they are investigating 15 reports of false bomb threats made since the federal building in Oklahoma City was bombed last week.

Two Northeast High School students were picked up yesterday a few hours after a telephone bomb threat prompted school officials to empty the school while it was searched.

Tuesday, a 16-year-old Old Mill High School student was arrested at the close of school and charged with placing a call that closed that school and Old Mill Middle north and south schools Friday, county police said.

Yesterday's incident at Northeast High School lasted about half an hour. Students were readmitted to the building at 7:49 a.m., police said.

A 15-year-old boy -- a ninth-grader whose name was withheld because of his age -- and Michael Eck, 18, a senior, were charged with making a false statement about a bomb, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of a $10,000 fine or a year's imprisonment, said Officer Randy Bell, a police spokesman.

Mr. Eck lives in the 7700 block of Overland Ave. in Glen Burnie, police said. His bail was set at $2,500 last night by a bail commissioner in Glen Burnie.

The juvenile, who lives in the 100 block of Norman Road in Glen Burnie, was released to his parents.

Officer Bell said the juvenile was charged with making the call, and Mr. Eck was charged with driving him to the phone.

In the Old Mill incident, the 16-year-old student, who lives in the 1400 block of Generals Highway in Crownsville, was arrested after classmates were interviewed by police. He was released to his parents.

Police said, the school complex was called about 6:45 a.m. and the office manager was told, "I put a bomb in the building, and I'm going to blow it up."

The three schools were evacuated and eventually closed. The 4,000 students were sent home while a dog searched for a bomb, police said.

Nancy Jane Adams, a spokeswoman for the county schools, said all three students have been suspended.

Officer Bell said police are "prepared to aggressively investigate" bomb threats, and he said three arrests this week are "certainly encouraging."

State police said a man called in a bomb threat about 8:55 a.m. yesterday to an employee of the Maryland Judiciary Information Systems on Riva Road.

The caller said the bomb was in the District Court building, in the 500 block of Taylor Ave., and would go off in 15 minutes. The building was not evacuated, and a bomb-sniffing dog found nothing, police said.

Bomb threats also were phoned to the George Fox and Chesapeake Bay middle schools and Severna Park High School Friday, police said, school officials said.

Arundel Center North was evacuated about 1:30 p.m. last Thursday when a man called and said a bomb would go off in 45 minutes. A dog searched the building and found nothing, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.