Mattress fire damages Westminster apartment

April 25, 1995

A mattress fire yesterday afternoon caused $500 in smoke and property damage to an apartment in the first block of Sullivan Avenue in Westminster.

Jeffrey Wunder, 30, said he was asleep on the couch in his living room yesterday morning when two acquaintances woke him to say the mattress in his bedroom had been burning, but they had extinguished the fire.

Mr. Wunder, who fell asleep again, said he awoke two hours later, about 12:30 p.m., to find his apartment filled with smoke. The door of the apartment had been broken down Easter Sunday during a fight in the building, he said.

"I should have been sleeping in the bedroom," Mr. Wunder said, noting that several people were in and out of the apartment all night. "This probably wouldn't have happened if I had."

Maryland Fire Marshal Bob Thomas said lighted smoking materials caused the mattress fire. Firefighters from Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester contained the fire in 15 minutes by throwing the mattress out of the window.

No other apartment units in the building were affected, and none of the residents was forced to move, Mr. Thomas said. No injuries were reported, he said.

POLICE

* Westminster: A resident of Buck Cash Drive told city police money and other items were stolen from her purse. The loss was estimated at $79.

FIRE

* Union Mills: Pleasant Valley responded to a field fire in the 4100 block of Turkeyfoot Road at 5:18 p.m. Sunday. Units were out for 43 minutes.

* Westminster: Pleasant Valley responded to a woods fire on John Owings Road at 11:19 a.m. Sunday. Units were out for 90 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.