Fast-food cook gets 40-year term for raping, robbing woman

April 25, 1995|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,Sun Staff Writer

A fast-food cook from Timonium was sentenced to 40 years in prison yesterday for raping and robbing a woman at daggerpoint last summer after she accepted a ride while on her way to buy cigarettes in Essex.

Patrick Michael Sullivan, 20, who lived in an apartment on Quiet Stream Court near Dulaney High School, insisted again yesterday that the victim had consented to sex after he picked her up July 29.

But Baltimore County Circuit Judge J. Norris Byrnes said he agreed with the jury that convicted Sullivan in January of first-degree rape and sexual offense, and robbery with a deadly weapon.

Although the victim lied when she originally told police she was kidnapped, rather than admit that she accepted a ride, the judge said her testimony was "consistent" while Sullivan's was "unbelievable."

After Sullivan tried to present evidence of his good character at sentencing yesterday, Assistant State's Attorney James O'C. Gentry Jr. told the judge that Sullivan's wife was prepared to testify that her husband had left her and their newborn child alone almost every night and that he was associating with skinheads, white supremacist and neo-Nazi groups. She is seeking a divorce.

Sullivan had no prior criminal record, but Mr. Gentry said he told a presentence interviewer that he had left the Navy because of a knee injury when, in fact, he had been dishonorably discharged in April 1993.

The prosecutor said a psychiatric evaluation described Sullivan as obsessive-compulsive, with a personality disorder.

The 20-year-old rape victim testified that as soon as she got into the car near Schaffers and Holly Neck roads, Sullivan locked the doors and put a dagger with a 6-inch blade to her neck.

As he raped her, she said, he tormented her by running the dagger along her body. He then took money from her purse and ordered her out.

In September, she saw the man who raped her in his car near the same area and alerted a police officer. The dagger was recovered.

"She foolishly got into this man's car -- a decision she lived to regret," said Judge Byrnes, who went beyond the state's guidelines in sentencing Sullivan. "He stands here and denies that it happened."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.