Boys' Latin routs St. Mary's BOYS LACROSSE

April 23, 1995|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

St. Mary's may want to consider leaving its "Let's Go Saints" banner at home the next time it visits Boys' Latin.

Not that Boys' Latin needed any additional motivation, but the top-ranked and unbeaten Lakers used the visitors' blue-and-white sign as a source of inspiration as they jumped out to a 9-1 halftime lead and eventually downed the Saints, 12-5, in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference matchup.

"As soon as we saw them put the banner up we said, 'We can't let that happen,' " said senior John Fuller. "We know everyone is gunning for us because we're No. 1, but we just try to put that aside and try and do the best we can."

Three Lakers provided all the goals for Boys' Latin, with Fuller and Chris Turner scoring five apiece and senior midfielder Scott Hochstadt adding the other two.

rTC Boys' Latin (12-0), which hadn't played a game in nine days, showed how anxious it was to score when J.D. Radebaugh won the opening faceoff for the Lakers and fed Turner for a goal just five seconds into the contest.

The No. 3 Saints (6-3) tied the score at 1 on an unassisted goal by junior attackman Dan Marohl. Unfortunately for the visitors, that was their final highlight.

Back-to-back goals by Fuller, one on a feed from Brad Gilroy and the other assisted by Ian Shure, helped spawn an eight-goal run by the Lakers. Fuller, a 6-foot-1 attackman who will play for Washington College next season, closed out the first quarter with two more goals, giving Boys' Latin a 6-1 lead.

"We had at least four or five unsettled opportunities in the first quarter and we didn't catch the ball," said Saints coach Jim Moorhead. "We were absolutely horrible today. We couldn't play any worse than that. We might as well not have practiced our first two months because we couldn't do any worse than we did today."

The Saints scored first in the second half, but Justin Bowman's goal on a feed from Jamison Mullen was answered 51 seconds later by Turner, making it 10-2 with 5:33 left in the third.

St. Mary's was getting its share of shots in the third quarter, but nearly every one of them ended up in the webbing of Andrew Hampson's stick. The senior goalkeeper finished with 11 saves and received a spirited round of applause when he checked out of the game in the closing minutes.

St. Mary's scored three meaningless goals in the fourth quarter, including two in the first 22 seconds of the period.

"They missed some shots early and threw the ball away a little bit and once we settled down and got the ball some, we put the game away early," said Lakers coach Bob Shriver, who received another outstanding performance from defenders Jason Quenzer, Ward Smith, David Rose and John Glatzel.

"St. Mary's was hustling, they just weren't completing their passes and that obviously helped us immensely."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.