Coyne, Reds stop No. 1 Mt. Hebron GIRLS LACROSSE

April 23, 1995|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

Roland Park goalie Melissa Coyne would rather stare down an eight-meter shot than any other kind and she showed why yesterday.

The sophomore stopped 15 shots, including seven on eight-meter free positions, to spark the No. 4 Reds to an 11-10 upset of No. 1 Mount Hebron in the championship of the third annual Roland Park North/South Tournament.

The Reds (9-1) edged Mount Hebron by the same score last year after the Vikings won the first tournament.

"It's a lot of the same emotion. Playing them is always going to be a big game," said Coyne. "Last year, I was a basket case. This year, I just relaxed and concentrated on the things I had to work on specifically for their shooters."

With 23 seconds left, Coyne came up with her biggest save -- against a free-position shot by Mount Hebron's Dani Vissers, who already had scored six goals.

Mount Hebron coach P.J. Kesmodel said Coyne's performance was the difference in the game.

"She played great. She stuffed us on every eight-meter shot almost," he said.

"Some of them were pretty good shots, but she was making nice saves. She wasn't just getting hit -- she was reacting to them."

The Reds also got terrific efforts from line defenders Ridgley Bennett, Meredith Shuey and Reagan Raneri and defense wings Kelly Sloan and Kellie MacDougall, who timed their moves to counter Hebron's potent set offense.

For most of the game, the Vikings (8-1) were playing catch-up. They had only one lead at 4-3.

Roland Park took a 7-6 halftime lead on Nicole Rock's eight-meter goal. Lizzy Bennett, Page Watts and Elizabeth Rodgers opened the second half with consecutive goals to give the Reds their biggest lead of the game, 10-6, with 17:19 to play.

But the Vikings weren't through. They started controlling the ball at midfield and working it more. Erin McGinnis, Vissers and Julie Kickham scored three goals in the next nine minutes.

Then Amber Fanta found Vissers all alone on the crease and she tied the game at 10 with 7:50 remaining.

"They're excellent shooters," said Coyne. "They're very good at putting the ball in places you wouldn't think it could go."

A minute later, however, Rodgers answered with the game winner -- a well-paced eight-meter shot.

The Vikings had their chances in the final minutes especially after goalie Kristen Foster intercepted a Reds' pass and again when Roland Park turned the ball over.

But the Vikings only managed two more shots -- both Vissers free positions and both stopped by Coyne.

Even though the Reds only took half as many shots as the Vikings, they scored on all but four. They scored six on seven first-half shots.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.