Fallston stays unbeaten, tops St. Mary's in OT, 8-6

April 20, 1995|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Sun Staff Writer

Behind all afternoon, No. 7 Fallston got the kind of play in the final minutes of regulation that had been lacking earlier, and went on to make off with an 8-6 overtime victory over visiting No. 8 St. Mary's yesterday.

Seniors Jenny Weber and Kathleen Turk did most of the damage, as Weber got a tying goal with 12 seconds left in regulation, and they accounted for all three overtime goals. For the game, Weber had four goals, and Turk, three.

Fallston (6-0), which forced the overtime by scoring all five of its regulation goals in the last 13:37, seemingly was on the ropes twice in the last three minutes. A St. Mary's goal at 3:35 made it 5-3, but Anne West's goal cut it to 5-4 at 2:12.

With 30 seconds left, and the ball at its end, Fallston went the length of the field to score. Turk set it up with a neat move in front, then gave up the ball to Weber who made one move to work free and found an opening.

The first (of two) three-minute overtimes was all Fallston: Weber on a free shot from eight meters; a wide-open Turk off a beautifully lofted pass from West; and Weber all alone after Kate Sinon had set it up from behind.

St. Mary's (10-3), a 10-7 loser at home to Fallston two weeks ago, and coming off a split of two games in a weekend tournament, had all the better of it in the early going. Kellie Thompson (three goals), one of four freshmen starters, scored in just 24 seconds, and 10 minutes later, during a two-minute flurry, the Saints added three more.

It was still 4-0 when Weber finally put Fallston on the right track. Until then, Jen Corradini had been outstanding in goal, turning aside 10 Cougars shots. Two goals by Turk made it 4-3, but 10 seconds after the second one, Thompson opened a two-goal margin with 3:35 left.

After the early shelling, Fallston goalkeeper Jessie Russo settled down to have a strong game. She finished with 11 saves, including a one-on-one stop of a Thompson shot when the score was 4-1.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.