Tettleton weighed bid from Orioles

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

April 13, 1995|By Buster Olney | Buster Olney,Sun Staff Writer

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Orioles were in the running for Mickey Tettleton before the designated hitter/catcher/outfielder signed with the Texas Rangers yesterday.

According to Tettleton's agent, Tony Attanasio, the Orioles' offer was almost identical to the Rangers'. Tettleton, who hit .248 with 17 homers and 51 RBIs for Detroit last year, signed a one-year deal for a base salary of $550,000, plus about $500,000 in reachable incentives. To achieve the extras, he must reach 200 plate appearances and 100 games.

But the $1.05 million total still means that Tettleton will take a massive cut from his salary of $1,833,333.

"There were three offers," Attanasio said. "Oakland, Texas and Baltimore. All were within a stone's throw of each other. Mickey has to take [a big cut] for whatever reason, and if that's the case, he's going to play close to home, put up the numbers and let what happens happen."

Texas general manager Doug Melvin is the one who signed Tettleton to a Triple-A contract with Rochester in 1988, when Melvin worked for the Orioles. "Doug was the one who gave me my second chance," Tettleton said, "and you tend not to forget those things."

It's unclear exactly what the Orioles would've done with Tettleton. They may have used him as an extra outfielder, or as a third catcher or to be the DH against left-handers.

McDonald's elbow tender

There's nothing seriously wrong with Ben McDonald's sore right elbow, he says. Nevertheless, he is being cautious.

During pitchers' fielding practice yesterday, McDonald would hustle to field the ball and reach down with his glove. But when it came time to make the throw, he would merely feint. Then he would underhand the ball back to a coach or teammate; can't be too careful.

McDonald had the same problem last year -- a strained right triceps tendon. "I could pitch through it," he said, "but this is spring training. If I have to miss a start, I don't think I'll be that far behind."

Orioles manager Phil Regan said he thinks McDonald will be ready to go when the regular season begins. As it stands now, McDonald likely will pitch the third game of the season, April 28 in Minnesota.

Outfield search

Regan reiterated his desire to add another veteran outfielder to the roster. "He doesn't necessarily have to be a great defensive outfielder," Regan said, "but I want somebody who can hit and drive in some runs.

"I've got someone in mind, but I'm not going to say who it is," Regan said.

It might be free agent Andy Van Slyke, whose negotiations with the Orioles have stalled. He wants $1.5 million; the O's offered $1 million but have taken that off the table for now as they take a look at their own young outfielders in exhibitions.

Another veteran the Orioles may take a look at is switch-hitter Kevin Bass, who batted .310 for Houston last year.

At age 35, he's experienced at coming off the bench and can play both right and left field. Bass probably is beyond the point in his career where he could be a regular, but he could fill in for four or five days at a time and offer solid at-bats.

The price is right, too -- Bass earned $400,000 a year ago, and in today's market he'd probably take a cut.

Around the horn

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.